Cr Cynthia Watson, Deputy Mayor
Cr Watson is married with four children and has lived in Balwyn North for more than 20 years.
Cr Watson was first elected to represent Maranoa Ward in October 2016.
“My vision is to continue to build a better Boroondara, and lead our community on the road to recovery from COVID-19 through prudent economic management, strong civic leadership and kindness. Every dollar spent by Council must continue to deliver benefit and reflect the shared values of our community. As your ward Councillor I will actively listen and respond to put community first. I will continue to deliver your Boroondara Community Plan, which was the result of the most extensive community consultation in Boroondara’s history!”
Cynthia is the Deputy Mayor for 2020-21.
- Canterbury Community Precinct Steering Committee
- Citizen and Young Citizen of the Year Advisory Group
- Volunteer of the Year Advisory Group
- Boroondara Urban Design Awards
- Boroondara Eisteddfod Advisory Committee
- Boroondara Early Years Advisory Committee
- Boroondara Community Strengthening Grants Assessment Panel
- Boroondara Arts Advisory Committee
- Library Services Advisory Committee
External management committees
- The Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV) - Substitute
- Metropolitan Waste Management Group Forum
Memberships and associations
- Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Life Member of the Greythorn Park Tennis Club
Hobbies and interests
Tennis, reading, gardening, family history and cooking
Download the Maranoa Ward newsletter
History of Maranoa Ward
Maranoa Ward takes it name from the native garden established by John Middleton Watson on land he bought in the early 1890s.
He named the gardens Maranoa after a river in Queensland, from an Indigenous word meaning flowing, alive or running.
Mr Watson continued to buy land in the area, most of which later became Beckett Park. He began to create gardens on one side with indigenous species from Australian and New Zealand.
The area was previously known as One Tree Hill or Canterbury Park, Balwyn.