All approved candidates for Australian citizenship are invited to attend a citizenship ceremony at their local council as the final stage of being granted Australian citizenship.
Citizenship notification and ceremony invitations
The Department of Home Affairs is responsible for choosing your citizenship ceremony date and sending your invitation. The City of Boroondara coordinates and hosts citizenship ceremonies on behalf of the Department.
Once your citizenship application is approved, you will go on a waiting list to attend a citizenship ceremony at your local council. Your citizenship ceremony information will be sent separately to the information you receive about your application being approved.
You will receive your citizenship ceremony invitation from the Department of Home Affairs approximately 3 to 4 weeks before the ceremony.
As your ceremony date is decided by the Department of Home Affairs, we are unable to provide further information about the date of your ceremony.
You can find information on citizenship processing and ceremony wait times on the Department of Home Affairs website. You can also call their Citizenship Information Line on 131 880.
2022 citizenship ceremony dates
In the current COVID climate, some scheduled ceremonies may be changed to online ceremonies. Ceremony details on our website will be updated accordingly.
- Wednesday 26 January 2022 (Australia Day) - 10:00 am
- Thursday 24 March 2022 - 7:00 pm
- Wednesday 4 May 2022 - 7:00 pm
- Wednesday 22 June 2022 (online) - 9:00 am, 10:00 am, 11:00 am
- Thursday 23 June 2022 (online) - 9:00 am, 10:00 am, 11:00 am
- Tuesday 30 August 2022 - This ceremony has been cancelled and replaced with online ceremonies.
- Tuesday 30 August 2022 (online) - 9:30 am, 10:30 am, 11:30 am
- Wednesday 31 August 2022 (online) - 12:30 pm, 1:30 pm, 2:30 pm
- Thursday 1 September 2022 (online) - 9:30 am, 10:30 am, 11:30 am
- Thursday 29 September 2022 - 7:00 pm
- Tuesday 8 November 2022 - 7:00 pm
Once Department of House Affairs invites you to a ceremony, we will provide you with further details including registration information depending on the type of ceremony.
- In-person citizenship ceremonies are held at the Hawthorn Arts Centre, 360 Burwood Road, Hawthorn.
- Candidates must register on the day of their ceremony.
- The Australia Day ceremony commences at 10:00 am with registration open from 9:00 am to 9:45 am.
- All other ceremonies begin at 7:00 pm with registration for the ceremony open from 6:00 pm to 6:45 pm.
- Online citizenship ceremonies take place between 9 am to 5 pm on weekdays.
- Once you receive your invitation from Home Affairs, we will send you further details including your online attendance link.
If you are interested in becoming an Australian citizen, please visit the Department of Home Affairs – Become an Australian citizen page.
if you would like to know about citizenship ceremonies, please visit the Department of Home Affairs – Citizenship ceremony page.
You can also call the Citizenship Information Line on 131 880.