All approved candidates for Australian citizenship are invited to attend a citizenship ceremony at their local council as the final stage of being granted Australian citizenship.
Citizenship notification and invitations
Citizenship candidates receive a letter from the Department of Home Affairs (formerly the Department of Immigration and Border Protection) with the date and location of the citizenship ceremony. The City of Boroondara will also send an email (or letter) inviting the candidate to a ceremony.
Before the ceremony
Candidates must register on the day of their ceremony. Evening ceremony registration opens at 6pm and closes at 6.45pm. Australia Day registration opens at 9am and closes at 9.45am.
During the ceremony
At the ceremony, new citizens are presented with a Certificate of Australian Citizenship after they pledge their allegiance to Australia and its laws.
Time and location
All Boroondara ceremonies are held at 7pm, with the exception of the Australia Day ceremony which is held at 10am, at the Hawthorn Arts Centre, 360 Burwood Road, Hawthorn.
2021 citizenship ceremony dates
- 10am - Tuesday 26 January 2021 - Australia Day
- 7pm - Wednesday 31 March 2021
- 7pm - Tuesday 25 May 2021
- 7pm - Thursday 15 July 2021
- 10.30am, 11.30am, 12.30pm - Thursday 2 September 2021 - online
- 9am, 10am, 11am, 12noon - Tuesday 7 September 2021 - online
- 9am, 10am, 11am, 12noon - Thursday 9 September 2021 - online
- 9am, 10am, 11am, 12noon - Friday 10 September 2021 - online
- 9am, 10am, 11am, 12noon - Tuesday 14 September 2021 - online
- 9am, 10am, 11am, 12noon - Tuesday 19 October 2021 - online
- 9am, 10am, 11am, 12noon - Wednesday 20 October 2021 - online
- 9am, 10am, 11am, 12noon - Thursday 21 October 2021 - online
- 7pm - Tuesday 30 November 2021
More information about citizenship ceremonies
For more information about the ceremonies, please contact us on 9278 4475.
Become an Australian citizen
If you do apply and your application for citizenship is approved, you'll go onto a waiting list to attend a citizenship ceremony and be notified of the date and location of the ceremony.
For all enquiries about citizenship, contact the Department of Home Affairs on 131 880.
Fast tracking citizenship
The Department of Home Affairs can fast track a candidate’s citizenship if there is a compelling and compassionate reason as to why they need to be naturalised as a matter of urgency. Contact the Department of Home Affairs directly to explain your circumstances.