Our Community Arts Venue Grants offer free access to high quality performance spaces and function rooms at Hawthorn Arts Centre and Kew Court House. We encourage members of the Boroondara community who meet the eligibility criteria to apply.
Successful applicants can receive free access to arts facilities and limited staffing for:
- performances and art exhibitions
- community functions
- conferences and meetings
- seminars, presentations, training sessions and workshops
- large-scale displays and trade exhibitions.
Community Arts Venue Grants program
We administer the grant as an annual program with proposed dates to hold events specified throughout the financial year. Applicants can apply for a maximum of two Community Arts Venue Grants in a 24 month period.
Note: This grants program was previously titled Cultural Facilities Community Access.
Venues available for community hire
Hawthorn Arts Centre
Kew Court House
Eligibility criteria for all applicants
1. The applicant is Boroondara-based
For groups and organisations, this means the applicant satisfies at least two of the following three criteria:
- They hold their meetings/rehearsals the majority of the time in a venue located within Boroondara.
- A minimum of 75% of their members live in the City of Boroondara.
- The group's activities deliver clear benefit to the Boroondara community.
For an individual applicant:
- The person must be a resident of the City of Boroondara, and
- The event, program or exhibition must be of an artistic nature. The activity can involve other contributors who may not be residents.
2. The applicant is not-for-profit
‘Not-for profit’ is classified by the Australian Tax Office in the Income Tax Assessment Act (1936).
3. The applicant holds public liability insurance or an application for such as outlined in the venue’s Terms and Conditions of Hire
If the applicant does not hold current and or adequate public liability insurance, Council may be able to insure them under its cover. This will be addressed on a case by case basis.
For venue-specific criteria, exceptions and information about the selection process read the Grants Program Guidelines.
Apply for Community Arts Venue Grants
The current application period began on 1 July 2017 and ends 30 June 2018.
Applicants are assessed using a competitive grants model.
Other venue hire options
Community members in need of a venue for an event may also wish to consider our options for paid venue hire. We offer a variety of spaces at hourly rates:
Contact us if you have any community venue hire queries.
Hawthorn Arts Centre:
- Phone: 03 9278 4770
- Email Hawthorn Arts Centre
Kew Court House:
- Phone: 03 9278 4770
- Email Kew Court House