Victoria Police and the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning have set guidelines to prevent crime in the community, through safer design for multi-dwelling developments.
The guidelines, which are based on the Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design Strategy, are:
- Surveillance: to maximise visibility and surveillance within public spaces.
- Access, movement and sight lines: to provide safe movement, good connections and access to areas of the development.
- Activity: to maximise activity and community interaction in public spaces.
- Ownership: to clearly identify private and public space for a development.
- Management and maintenance: to manage public spaces and ensure they're attractive and well designed.
For more information, see the Safer design guidelines on the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website.