On this page

Some large-scale building projects need a construction management plan. This includes:

  • projects with 10 or more dwellings
  • buildings with 3 or more storeys
  • projects with significant site excavation
  • construction on a main road.

This will be listed as a condition of your Planning Permit.

We recommend you consult with local residents about your planned works.

Prepare your plan

Builders or developers are responsible for completing the construction management plan.

Your plan helps to:

  • make the building site safe
  • protect Council assets and amenity (the features and character of Boroondara's neighbourhoods and streets).

Use our template to prepare your plan. In the template you'll find sections where you must:

  • provide responses
  • tick and sign to confirm you will get required permits before starting your works.

Submit your plan

Email your completed plan to [email protected] before starting construction.

After you submit your plan

We will review your plan, usually within 4 weeks.

We may ask you to amend your plan before we can approve it.

You must carry out the measures from the plan as part of your Planning Permit.

Before you start your works

Make sure you have:

What goes in your plan

Your construction management plan must meet requirements in our Amenity Local Law, which you can find in the Downloads section on this page.

Your plan must address how you will manage:

  • noise
  • construction times
  • dust and air quality
  • stormwater and sediment
  • removal of hazardous and dangerous materials
  • protection of Council assets
  • building waste
  • traffic
  • trees.

Include a contact phone number in the plan and display this on the perimeter of your building site.

Download our Protection of Council Assets and Control of Building Sites Local Law 2021


The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulates noise from residential premises, including building sites.

Your plan should consider:

  • noise from machinery and equipment
  • noise from radios, voices and workers
  • the impact on neighbouring properties
  • how you will maintain reasonable noise levels.

For more guidance, check the following:

Construction times

Most Planning Permits will specify the hours you can carry out construction work. If you get an exception, you must detail this in your plan.

There are also general times when construction is not allowed, depending on the type of site.

Type of siteNon-permitted construction timesWho enforces this
  • Residential (apartment/dwellings)
  • Mixed use development (residential component is 50% or more)
  • Monday to Friday before 7 am and after 8 pm
  • Weekends and public holidays before 9 am and after 8 pm
Commercial construction site
(commercial/industrial development or a mixed use development where the residential component is 49% or less)
  • Monday to Friday 7 am to 6 pm
  • Saturday 9 am to 5 pm
  • No works on public holiday or Sundays
Council, and controlled through the Protection of Council Assets and Control of Building Sites Local Law

Dust and air quality

You must maintain air quality around your building site. Your plan should cover how you will:

  • monitor air quality
  • keep exhausts and ductwork away from air intakes, windows, enclosed areas and public areas
  • service equipment powered by internal combustion engines
  • use dust suppression techniques or equipment
  • avoid dumping loose materials
  • only cut materials in designated areas, away from public spaces
  • include perimeter fencing to reduce the spread of dust
  • adjust your techniques, depending on weather, location of public spaces and air vents.

These measures should also be effective when your site is not attended.

Stormwater and sediment control

You must not discharge waste materials into a stormwater drain. This includes paint, concrete slurries and chemicals. Your plan must cover how you will stop sediment from contaminating the stormwater.

This might include:

  • stabilising the vehicle entry to your site with crushed rock or bitumen
  • using rumble grids and wash-down bays to remove dust and mud from truck wheels as they leave the site
  • filtering water run-off before it enters the stormwater drain
  • connecting downpipes to the roof as soon as possible
  • planning where you will store loose materials, such as soil, sand and gravel
  • cleaning equipment carefully to prevent by-product from entering the stormwater drain.

Removal of hazardous or dangerous materials

When removing hazardous or dangerous materials from the site, you must comply with:

You must manage and remove asbestos safely. Usually this involves using a licensed specialist.

For more advice about asbestos, read our Handling asbestos page.

You may need to do an environmental audit as a condition of your Planning Permit. This confirms:

  • if the site is suitable for residential use
  • the measures needed to address site contamination.

Protection of Council assets

You must protect our streets, footpaths, laneways and reserves when completing your building works. Any damage to Council assets is your responsibility to fix. You must repair damage that impacts safety immediately.

Permits needed:

  • An asset protection permit to protect Council assets and infrastructure – learn more and apply on our Council asset protection page.
  • A vehicle crossing permit to construct, remove or change a vehicle crossing on Council-managed land – learn more and apply on our Vehicle Crossing Permit page.

Building waste

Your plan must include how you will manage waste and keep the job site safe.

This includes:

  • keeping the site clean and tidy
  • removing tripping hazards from footpaths
  • covering electrical, plumbing and other services that extend over footpaths
  • storing waste securely on site
  • not dumping loose materials on site
  • consulting with local residents about waste collection and disposal
  • adding a ramp for pedestrian access.

Your ramp should have a non-slip surface and handrail. We recommend a gradient of at least 1:14 (unless the existing topography needs a different ratio).

You will need a Skip bin permit to place a skip bin on a road – learn more and apply on our Skip bins page.

Traffic, roads and parking

You must minimise the disruption to traffic near your site. This includes vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists.

Your plan should cover:

  • what impact the works will have on traffic near the site and adjoining roads
  • how you will manage construction vehicles entering and leaving the site.

You may need to complete a traffic management plan as a condition of your planning permit.

Road closures

To occupy a road or lane, you must apply for permits and notify anyone affected 48 hours before your works start.

Notify them by letter and include:

  • name and phone number of site contact
  • relevant site plan information
  • expected dates and length of time you will occupy the road or lane.

You must submit a copy of your letter when you apply for your permit.

Permits needed:

  • A works zone permit – learn more and apply on our Establishing a works zone page.
  • A road and footpath occupancy permit – learn more and apply on our Occupying a road or footpath page.

Tradesperson parking

Provide details of where tradespeople will park during construction, including any off-street parking.

Ideally parking should be on site. Include a map if possible.

Heavy vehicles

You will need a road access permit for heavy vehicles, from the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator website.

For more information, call the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487 or email [email protected].


Check the conditions of your Planning Permit to find out if you need to include:

  • details of how you will protect trees and vegetation
  • an arborist report
  • a tree management plan.

You will need a tree works permit – learn more and apply on our Tree works permit page.

You can find out what else you need to do to protect trees during construction on our Protect trees during construction page.

More information

You can call us on (03) 9278 4444 or email [email protected].

Was this page helpful?