Online forms and some online services will be unavailable from 8 pm to 11:59 pm on Thursday 1 December 2022.

You need to apply for a Promotion Permit if you want to run a promotional event on Council controlled land, such as a park, footpath, nature strip, public car park or road. If you don't have a permit, you may receive a fine.

Promotional events include:

  • promoting
  • spruiking
  • selling
  • distributing (giveaways)
  • any activity that may disrupt the public.

Apply for a Promotion Permit online

You need to submit your application at least 10 business days before the event.

If your request involves more than one Council department or a non-Council authority, your application may take more time to process. If you would like advice before applying, please call the Local Laws team on (03) 9278 4444.

Apply for a Promotion Permit

If you want to occupy Council controlled land in front of a business, you need to get approval from the business owner or supervisor. In your application, include either: 

  • written approval from the business owner
  • the business owner’s contact details if it's a verbal agreement.  

You need to provide all the requested supporting documentation with your application. We'll contact you if we need more information. 

If your application is approved, we'll email you a permit.

You can only apply for one event or activity per application.

Permit fee

The fee for a Promotional Permit is $88.50 and non-refundable. We’ll send you an invoice if your application is approved.

Other permits you may need

If your event needs other Council permissions, such as food business registration, health-related permits, traffic plans or a filming permit, you may need to pay other fees.

You might also need a:

More information

For more information, contact Local Laws on (03) 9278 4949.

Was this page helpful?