You need to apply for a Promotion Permit if you want to run a promotional event on Council controlled land, such as a park, footpath, naturestrip, public car park or road. If you don't have a permit, you may receive a fine.
Promotional events include:
- distributing (giveaways)
- any activity that may disrupt the public.
Apply for a Promotion Permit online
You need to submit your application at least 10 business days before the event.
If your request involves more than one Council department or a non-Council authority, your application may take more time to process. If you would like advice before applying, please call the Local Laws team on (03) 9278 4444.
If you want to occupy Council controlled land in front of a business, you need to get approval from the business owner or supervisor. In your application include either:
- written approval from the business owner
- the business owner’s contact details if it's a verbal agreement.
You need to provide all the requested supporting documentation with your application. We'll contact you if we need more information.
If your application is approved we'll email you a permit.
You can only apply for one event or activity per application.
The fee for a Promotion Permit is $150 and non-refundable. We'll send you an invoice if your application is approved.
Other permits you may need
- If your event involves fundraising, you need to apply for a Fundraising Permit on our website and submit it with your application.
- Tell us if your event involves food as you may need to apply for a food permit. For more information about food permits, visit our temporary food businesses page.
- You may need to consider hiring a hall or sportsground for your event.
- You might also need a:
For more information contact Local Laws on (03) 9278 4949.