While it is free to apply for a parking permit, it is $16.60, plus credit card fees to replace a lost or damaged parking permit.
Please also note only one application is allowed per property.
Types of residential parking permits
You can apply for 2 types of parking permits.
Specified Vehicle Permit
You can apply for a Specified Vehicle Permit for a vehicle registered:
- at your address
- to a company which is driven by someone at your address
You must always have your permit on display, in the lower left corner of the vehicles windscreen.
A Specific Vehicle Permit can only be used for the vehicle listed on the permit.
Visitor Parking Permit
You can apply for a Visitor Parking Permit for a vehicle:
- visiting your address
- registered at your address
The permit must be hung on the rear view mirror of the visiting vehicle.
Watch a short video about how to assemble and display a Visitor Parking Permit correctly in your vehicle.
Apply for a residential parking permit on our online portal.
You will get one of the following within 28 days of submitting your application:
- your parking permit
- a request for more information
- a rejection and reason why.
What you need to apply
You will need to include a document with your name and property address as proof.
This can be your:
- drivers licence
- current utility bill
- current lease agreement (signed by both the landlord or agent and tenant or tenants), or a letter from the landlord confirming tenancy
- current house and contents insurance policy
- current health care card, pensioner card or bank/credit card statement.
If you apply for a Specified Vehicle Permits, you will need to also provide your:
- vehicle's registration with the property address,
- or insurance paperwork showing that the vehicle is kept at the property requiring the permit.
If you need a parking permit for a company car you must also provide a letter on your company’s letterhead outlining:
- vehicle lease arrangements
- confirming the vehicle is kept at the property.
The number of parking permits you can have per property varies depending on the property type.
A single home contains no more than 2 dwellings on a block.
You can apply for up to 3 permits in total. These can be:
- 3 Specific Vehicle Permits
- 2 Specific Vehicle Permits and 1 Visitor Parking Permit
- 1 Specific Vehicle Permit and 2 Visitor Parking Permits
Unit or apartments
If you live in a unit or apartment, you can only apply for 1 Specified Vehicle Permit or 1 Visitor Parking Permit.
If you live in a unit or apartment that was built after July 2011, you are not eligible for a residential parking permit.
If you live in a unit or apartment that was built between 2001 and July 2011, you may be eligible for a residential parking permit. We will let you know if you are eligible when you apply.
Property above a shop
If you live above a shop, you may be eligible for 1 Specified Vehicle Permit following an inspection from a Council officer.
If you are boarding or live in a rooming house, you can have 2 Visitor Parking Permits per property.
Applications for a parking permit in shared housing must be made by the manager.
How to renew
Parking permits are valid for 2 years. There is no online renewal but you will get a renewal letter in the post every other year. If you move, please contact Boroondara. Your permit will cancel once new tenants apply.