Please also note only one application is allowed per property. Parking permits are strictly for residents currently living at the property.
Types of residential parking permits
You can apply for 2 types of parking permits.
Specified Vehicle Permit
You can apply for a Specified Vehicle Permit for a vehicle registered:
- at your address
- to a company which is driven by someone at your address
You must always have your permit on display, in the lower left corner of the vehicles windscreen.
A Specific Vehicle Permit can only be used for the vehicle listed on the permit.
Visitor Parking Permit
You can apply for a Visitor Parking Permit for a vehicle:
- visiting your address
- registered at your address
The permit must be hung on the rear view mirror of the visiting vehicle.
Watch a short video about how to assemble and display a Visitor Parking Permit correctly in your vehicle.
Apply for a residential parking permit on our online portal.
You will get one of the following within 14 days of submitting your application:
- your parking permit
- a request for more information
- a rejection and reason why.
What you need to apply
You will need to include a document with your name and property address as proof.
This can be your:
- drivers licence
- current internet or telephone bill
- current lease agreement (signed by both the landlord or agent and tenant or tenants), or a letter from the landlord confirming tenancy
- current house and contents insurance policy
- current health care card, pensioner card or bank/credit card statement.
If you apply for a Specified Vehicle Permits, you will need to also provide your:
- vehicle's registration with the property address,
- or insurance paperwork showing that the vehicle is kept at the property requiring the permit.
If you need a parking permit for a company car you must also provide a letter on your company’s letterhead outlining:
- vehicle lease arrangements
- confirming the vehicle is kept at the property.
The number of parking permits you can have per property varies depending on the property type.
A single home contains no more than 2 dwellings on a block.
You can apply for up to 3 permits in total. These can be:
- 3 Specific Vehicle Permits
- 2 Specific Vehicle Permits and 1 Visitor Parking Permit
- 1 Specific Vehicle Permit and 2 Visitor Parking Permits
Unit or apartments
If you live in a unit or apartment, you can only apply for 1 Specified Vehicle Permit or 1 Visitor Parking Permit.
If you live in a unit or apartment that was built after July 2011, you are not eligible for a residential parking permit.
If you live in a unit or apartment that was built between 2001 and July 2011, you may be eligible for a residential parking permit. We will let you know if you are eligible when you apply.
Property above a shop
If you live above a shop, you may be eligible for 1 Specified Vehicle Permit following an inspection from a Council officer.
If you are boarding or live in a rooming house, you can have 2 Visitor Parking Permits per property.
Applications for a parking permit in shared housing must be made by the manager.
Parking permits are valid for 2 years. There is no online renewal, but you will get a renewal letter in the post every other year.
If you move from your current address, please contact us and let us know. Your permit will be cancelled when the new tenants apply for their parking permit.