If your street is in a residential parking permit zone or has time restricted parking areas of 1 hour or more, you can apply for a residential parking permit.
There are 2 types of residential parking permits:
- Specified Vehicle Permit
- for a vehicle registered at your address or a vehicle registered to a company which is driven by someone living at your address
- the permit must be permanently displayed on the lower left corner of the vehicle's windscreen.
- please note: if you're issued a Specified Vehicle Permit, it cannot be misused (for example, used for different vehicle)
- Visitor Parking Permit
- for vehicles visiting your address or your own use
- the permit must be displayed on the dashboard on the left side of the visiting vehicle.
Residential parking permits are free of charge. Depending on your address, you can apply for up to 3 permits (see 'Number of parking permits allowed per property' below).
How to apply
Within 28 days of submitting your application, you'll receive one of the following:
- your permit
- a request for more information
- a rejection and the reason why.
If you need a temporary permit while your application is being assessed, you can apply in person at any of our Council offices.
You will need
With your application include one of the following in your name that shows your property address:
- rates notice
- current utility bill
- current lease agreement (signed by both the landlord or agent and tenant/s), or a letter from the landlord confirming tenancy
- current house and contents insurance policy
- contract of sale
- a current health care card, pensioner card or bank/credit card statement.
For Specified Vehicle Permits:
- vehicle's registration with the property address, or insurance paperwork showing that the vehicle is kept at the property.
For company cars:
- a letter on your company's letterhead outlining vehicle lease arrangements and confirming the vehicle is kept at the property.
Number of parking permits allowed per property
|Type of property||Number of permits|
No more than 2 dwellings on a block.
Eligible for up to 3 permits in total, either:
Unit or apartment
If the multi-unit dwelling was built:
May be eligible for one permit, either:
Above a shop
|Shared housing (boarding or rooming house)||