Who to contact when you have an issue with a drain depends on the nature of the problem.

Problem Who to contact
A Council drain is blocked or broken

You can use our online form to report a drainage issue.

Report an issue

If it's an emergency, contact us on 9278 4444 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)

Your private drains or pipes are blocked or leaking Contact your plumber
Your drain is smelly or foamy Contact Council Health Services on 9278 4710
The water mains or sewerage has burst, or you've got problems with your water supply Contact Yarra Valley Water on 132 762
Water is coming onto your land from a neighbour's property, for example, from their roof or garden Speak with your neighbour to find a solution

Learn about the difference between private and Council drainage.

Groundwater and seepage on your property

Any kind of water that rises above the ground on your property due to natural occurrences, such as rainfall, needs to be managed privately. This could be damp patches in your backyard or flooded sections of land due to stormwater runoff.

Property groundwater is also not to be discharged into Council’s above-ground stormwater drain system. Instead, either store the water on your property or organise for it to be taken away.

For more about stormwater drainage connections, see connect to the stormwater drain system.

Was this page helpful? *