If you're finding it harder to do day-to-day tasks, you may be eligible to receive government-funded aged care services to help you stay in your own home.

65 years or over

You will need to be at least 65 years old to access subsidised services, or 50 years old for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.

How to apply

Step 1. Call My Aged Care

My Aged Care is the Australian Government system that connects you to a full range of services for older people. They assess your eligibility for services based on the level of care you need, and can give you information about your various options and costs.

The first step to find out whether you are eligible for subsidised services is to call the My Aged Care phone line.

Have your Medicare card handy. They will ask you questions about your current situation.

If you want to be a representative for someone you are caring for, that person can give their consent for that to occur over the phone. Otherwise you will need to submit a signed consent form. If you are helping that person register we recommend you call My Aged Care when you are in the same room together.

Call 1800 200 422 between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday and 10am and 2pm Saturday.

You can also visit the My Aged Care website for more information.

Step 2. Have a home based assessment

After talking to you on the phone, if My Aged Care decides you may be eligible to receive subsidised services, they will organise for an assessor to contact you.

The assessor will arrange a time to come and visit you in your home. This assessment is free and will involve a detailed discussion about your health care needs and supports.

The assessor will meet you in your home and discuss your situation and the kinds of services you might need. You can have a family member, friend or carer present.

Step 3. Agree on a home support plan

Your assessor will work with you to choose service providers and help you make any necessary arrangements. You can also ask them to provide you with a list of local providers or you can search on the My Aged Care website or the Victorian Government’s Better Health website if you want to do your own research.

You can choose the provider and the services you want. You do not have to accept all the services recommended for you.

Step 4. Your level of support will be confirmed

After the assessment, My Aged Care will send a letter telling you which level of care you’ve been approved for, either:

  • Entry level care via the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP), or

  • More complex, coordinated care via a Home Care Package (HCP)

Step 5. Talk to providers and agree on costs

Once you have been referred to a local provider for services, they will contact you directly. Ask them about what services they will offer you and the people they will send to perform these services.

You should also ask them about fee arrangements. These services are funded by the Australian and Victorian Governments. Fees are subsidised and means tested. This means how much you pay will be based on your financial situation.

Any fees need to be agreed between you and the service provider before you start receiving services.


How useful was this information?