Coronavirus update 13 March 2020

Stage 4 restrictions: what's closed and what's open.

To place items outside your shop or business, you need to apply for a footpath trading permit. This is to make sure footpaths are kept clear for pedestrians and don't obstruct traffic or access to properties.

How we assess your application

We will assess your application to make sure there are no impacts on:

  • vehicle and pedestrian traffic flow and safety
  • streetscape, appearance and urban design of the area
  • public health and safety
  • any proposed traffic improvements

We will also check that it adheres to the current building and planning schemes.

Rules for using the footpath

Our guidelines document provides more information about footpath trading rules and restrictions. These include:

  • minimum kerb clearances
  • correct ways to arrange and display your items
  • standards for portable and real estate signs
  • rules for temporary cafe and community barbecue

When you are granted a permit, you must make sure to follow the permit conditions.

When can you use the footpath?

Once you pay the application and permit cost in full, you can place your items on the footpath. Item placement is subject to change once your outdoor floor plan is finalised.

Step 1: Submit your application

Complete the application form then submit and pay at our offices.

Include in your application:

  • a current business registration certificate
  • a current certificate of public liability insurance for a minimum of $20 million

Applications may take 10 business days to process.

Application fee

You will pay an $86.50 application fee to apply or transfer an application.

First-time application fees are non-refundable.

Location fees

There is a $146.50 per square metre rate to use the footpath for items such as:

  • portable signs
  • display of goods
  • outdoor cafe items such as tables, chairs, temporary barriers or umbrellas
  • barbecues and food sampling

Two roads have specific per square metre rates, these are:

  • Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn costs $246.00 per square metre.
  • Burke Road, Camberwell costs $322.00 per square metre.

Specific sign and board fees

Real estate agent signs or pointer boards cost $665.00 per year, per company.

Directory boards and fingerboards have a one-off cost of $419 per entry.

Step 2: Review and design

When we’ve received your application, we will calculate the trading zone area and help you design an outdoor floor plan. This plan will ensure that your items and their placement meets the guidelines.

Step 3: Approval

If your application meets the guidelines, we’ll send you an invoice for the permit cost. Once your payment is received, we’ll send you the permit in the mail.

You must clearly display your permit on the front door or window of your business.

Permit renewals

We'll post you an option to renew your permit along with an invoice 6 weeks before your permit is due to expire.

More information

For further information please contact us on 9278 4949 or email [email protected]

How useful was this information?