Apply for a Planning Permit, if needed

If you have determined that you need a Planning Permit for your project:

  1. Provide a clear copy of your Certificate of Title, including the lot plan. You can get this from the Landata website. The Certificate of Title must be no more than 28 days' old.
  2. Write a cover letter explaining your proposal.
  3. Prepare a plan drawn to scale (1:100 or 1:200) with full dimensions. The plan must show the site, floor layout and elevations.
  4. Complete the Planning Permit application form and lodge the form, fee and supporting documents with Council. 
    To download the form and submit the application, see Apply for a Planning Permit.
    If you need a permit to demolish an existing fence, the Planning Permit application you submit can be for both the demolition of the existing fence and the construction of a new fence.
  5. Lodge the form, application fee and supporting documents with Council.
  6. Now, check whether you need a Building Permit.

VicSmart eligibility

A Planning Permit application for a front fence is eligible to be assessed as a VicSmart application if your land is affected by any of the following:

  • Residential Zone (if associated with one dwelling)
  • Environmental Significance Overlay
  • Significant Landscape Overlay
  • Heritage Overlay
  • Design and Development Overlay (including Design and Development Overlay Schedule 31)
  • Special Building Overlay (special conditions apply).

Application fees

For non-VicSmart applications:

Cost of development Fee
Less than $10,000 $199.90
$10,000 to $100,000 $629.40

For VicSmart applications:

Cost of development Fee
$10,000 or less $199.90
More than $10,000 $429.50