At its meeting held on 23 August 2021, Council resolved to make a local law titled Protection of Council Assets and Control of Building Sites Local Law (the Local Law).
The Local Law commenced operation on 1 September 2021.
Main purposes of the Local Law
The main purposes of the Local Law are to:
- protect public infrastructure assets from damage caused by building work
- protect the health and safety of persons who work in or enter building sites
- protect the health and safety of persons who reside near or pass by building sites
- protect the amenity of persons who reside near and pass by building sites
- provide for the administration and enforcement of this Local Law
- provide for the peace, order and good governance of the municipality.
General purposes of the Local Law
The Local Law:
- provides for the administration and enforcement of the Local Law and empowers Council and authorised officers to issue permits, notices to comply, act in urgent circumstances and impound things
- provides for the implementation of measures to protect roads, Council land and other Council assets in connection with building work being carried out on private land
- provides for infringement notices to be served on those whom an authorised officer has reason to believe is guilty of an offence
- creates offences relating to:
- carrying out building work without a permit
- providing false or misleading information in relation to the application for a permit
- failing to comply with a notice to comply
- carrying out building work outside of defined hours
- occupying or obstructing a road or Council land
- allowing run off to enter the stormwater system
- constructing temporary crossovers
- the provision and use of refuse facilities
- the provision of toilet facilities
- the entry to, and exit from, building sites
- falling to maintain a safe environment
- detrimentally affecting amenity
- damaging Council assets.
View the Protection of Council Assets and Control of Building Sites Local Law (PDF) or inspect it at the Camberwell Municipal Offices, 8 Inglesby Road, Camberwell.