Some of our services and centres have different hours on public holidays. Where times are different from usual, details are shown below.
For a list of public holidays in Victoria, see Business Victoria.
You'll still be able to access many of our services online, including:
- making payments for building and planning permits, parking fines, Council invoices, business registrations, animal fines or rates
- booking a Christmas tree or hard waste collection
- applying for a Residential Parking Permit
- renewing an Accessible Parking Permit
- renewing your pet registration.
Household bin collections
Bins are collected on every day of the year, except:
- Good Friday
- Christmas Day
- New Year’s Day.
If your regular bin collection falls on Good Friday, 15 April, then your bins will be collected on Easter Saturday, 16 April.
Our libraries are closed on all public holidays. However, you can still access our online services.
Boroondara Recycling and Waste Centre
The centre is open every day except Christmas Day, New Year’s Day and Good Friday.
See what you can and can't drop off, and any fees that apply, on our Boroondara Recycling and Waste Centre page.
Kew Depot Recycling drop-off centre
Kew Depot is closed on all public holidays.
Hawthorn Arts Centre and Town Hall Gallery
Boroondara Youth Hub
The Youth Hub is closed on public holidays.
Boroondara Volunteer Resource Centre
The Boroondara Volunteer Resource Centre is closed on all public holidays. It will also close between Friday 25 Dec to Monday 4 Jan.
Maternal and Child Health services
Our services aren’t available on public holidays or weekends. We offer services on weekdays by appointment only.
Newborn babies will get home visits. To make an appointment, see our Maternal and Child Health service page.
You can also contact the 24-hour Maternal & Child Health Advisory service on 13 22 29.
Health, ageing and disability services
- Health, ageing and disability: open all days except public holidays. No services on public holidays, except personal care.
- Shopping services: replacement services will be made around the public holidays.
- Domestic assistance: replacement services will be made by request only.
- Respite: replacement services can be requested but are subject to available resources.
To find out more about our health, ageing and disability services, see our Services for seniors page.
Aquatic and leisure centres
For opening hours on public holidays, please see the individual recreation centre websites: