The Boroondara Urban Design Awards aim to celebrate and encourage excellence in urban design and high quality architecture. They also aim to increase the community’s awareness of the benefit of good urban design and the enhancement it makes to makes to our City.
Nominations for the 2018 Boroondara Urban Design Awards have now closed.
- Awards launched and nominations opened on 20 February 2018
- Nominations closed on 21 May 2018
- Judging sessions 5 and 7 June 2018
- Winners announced and awards presented on 25 June 2018
Step 1: Prepare your entry
- Choose your nomination category (below)
- Consider assessment criteria (below)
- Read conditions of entry
- Read terms and conditions
Step 2: Submit your entry
- Entries closed on 21 May 2018.
Award nominations can be submitted for the following categories
- Best heritage extensions, additions and alterations
- Best small-scale multi-dwelling residential development - up to 3 dwellings
- Best medium-scale multi-dwelling residential development - up to 3 storeys
- Best non-residential development
- Best apartment or mixed-use development - 4 storeys and above
Nominations will be assessed on the following criteria
Each award entry will be assessed against the following criteria. Please note all entered projects are required to have been completed in the last two years (i.e. between 2016 and 2018).
Good fit and response to context
- Responsive design outcome with good relationship to context and sensitivity to neighbours
- Respectful development that harmoniously blends with existing streetscapes and significant places/landscape
Contribution to the public realm
- Positive contribution to and integration with adjoining streets, public spaces and the public realm in general
- The level of activity and animation generated by the development to promote a healthy, safe, vibrant and pleasant public environment and experience
- Any additional community benefit brought by the development such as enhanced public realm conditions and any cultural and social benefits such as urban art
Excellence in design
- Exemplary design outcome with high quality contemporary architecture and refined attention to detail
- Innovative and creative design that challenges conventional thinking and explores new ways of doing things to achieve high design standards
- Ensuring a balanced level of visual consistency and variety
- Employing high-quality materials and finishes that complement and enhance the visual quality and richness of the entire area
- An integrated approach to sustainability that makes the best use of the site attributes, local materials and existing buildings and embeding sustainability in the design thinking and process
- A sustainable practice that challenges the status-quo and investigates innovative technologies in the design and construction, above and beyond industry standards
Robustness and continuity
- Maintaining the unique sense of a place by embracing change yet respecting its heritage values
- A resilient and robust building that is capable of being adapted in the future for other purposes
- Retaining living heritage through sensitive, careful adaptive reuse - setting a fine example for how new works (including restoration, extensions or additions) and upgrades to heritage places should be approached in the municipality
Access and Inclusion
- Achieving an excellent level of access and safety for all users
- Design should be inclusive and creative in applying accessibility standards in a way that enables dignified use, ease of access and lifestyle choices for all people
Integrated approach to landscape design
- Recognising and enhancing the qualities that give the place its valued identity and distinctive character such as existing significant trees and landscape features
- Demonstrating a high level of sensitive site planning in which landscape is resolved as an integral part of the whole design and an intrinsic feature for a successful integration with the existing streetscape
2018 Urban Design Awards Judging Panel
A judging panel of two urban design experts and three Councillors will assess the awards nominations against a list of criteria recognised by the design and development profession.
To speak to our Urban Designer, please phone 9278 4821 or email [email protected] .