About the centre
You can drop off a range of items at the Boroondara Recycling and Waste Centre. Items can be for both recycling and landfill.
The centre accepts recyclables, household waste, e-waste, green waste and more.
You can also:
It is free to drop off recyclables, paint, select household detox items and small to medium electronic waste items.
Charges apply to drop off car tyres, fridges, white goods and mattresses.
A tipping charge per load applies if you are dropping off general waste (non-recyclable items and household waste) and green waste.
You can pay by cash, EFTPOS, Visa or Mastercard (no cheques).
Note: The Boroondara Recycling and Waste Centre does not accept cash at the moment. We have introduced these measures to protect you and our staff from risks associated with COVID-19. Payment can still be made by EFTPOS, Visa or Mastercard.
Tipping charges as at 21 July 2020
|Vehicle and volume||General waste||Green waste|
|Car boot or station wagon||$29||$21|
|Small van or level utility||$65.50||$41|
|Small level trailer, up to 1.8m x 1.2m||$65.50||$41|
|Level single axle trailer, over 1.8m x 1.2m||$101||$61|
|Level tandem trailer||$143.50||$79.50|
|Large van, high utility or high trailer, up to 1.8m x 1.2m||$143.50||$67|
|High single axle trailer, over 1.8m x 1.2m||$176||$102.50|
|High tandem trailer||$212||$144.50|
|Mixed loads of spoil, bricks, concrete, soil and rubble are charged at this minimum price up to a small (1.8m x 1.2m) level trailer load. Loads greater than this are charged multiples of this fee.||$143.50|
- All level trailer/utility loads are assessed at a maximum load height of 300mm
- Load heights greater than 300mm will be charged the appropriate higher fee
- The maximum gross vehicle mass is 2 tonnes
- White goods have the same inspection fee as fridges ($20.50 per item)
- Prices are estimated and subject to final assessment by the centre gatehouse.
Download the Boroondara Recycling and Waste Disposal Centre Fees and Charges
Items accepted (charges apply)
|General waste (landfill)||Charged dependent on load size|
|Green waste (garden waste)||Charged dependent on load size|
|Miscellaneous steel products||Charged dependent on load size|
|Building rubble (spoil, bricks, concrete, soil and rubble)||Charged dependent on load size|
|Car tyre with rim||$22|
|Whitegoods and large e-waste items (per item)||$20.50|
For a full list of charges and items accepted, download the Boroondara Recycling and Waste Disposal Centre Fees and Charges.
Items accepted (free)
- Cardboard (flattened)
- Plastic bottles and hard plastic containers
- Glass bottles and jars
- Cans - aluminium and steel
- Aluminium foil
- Empty aerosol bottles
Household Detox items and chemicals
The Boroondara Recycling and Waste Centre is a Detox your Home permanent drop-off site that only accepts these items:
- gas bottles (maximum 9kg)*
- fluorescent tubes, globes and compact fluorescent lamps
- car and household batteries
- motor oil (20L max in disposable container)
- cooking oil (20L max in disposable container).
No other Detox items are accepted at the Boroondara Recycling and Waste Centre.
Separate Detox Your Home annual mobile collections are also available for a broader range of household chemicals. For a full list of what is accepted in the mobile collection, see Detox Your Home annual mobile collection items accepted and not accepted.
For mobile annual collection dates, see Detox your home annual mobile collection points and dates.
Electronic waste (e-waste)
E-waste is anything with a plug, battery, cord or alternative power supply, such as toasters, computers, TVs, heaters and hairdryers.
The centre accepts all e-waste for recycling – except solar panels, liquid filled heaters and massage chairs. Note - items must be loose - no packaging allowed.
Large items incur a fee.
We partner with TechCollect to recycle residential e-waste.
For more information, see our E-waste page.
Items not accepted
- Hazardous waste, such as chemicals used by businesses for industrial, commercial or farming purposes
- Syringes, needles or medical waste
- Coloured polystyrene or foam, including meat trays or similar food packaging, plastic or foam wrapping, tape or strapping, bean bag beans, peanut-shaped loose foam packaging
- Flexible plastics - e.g. bags, wrapping, packaging (recycle flexible plastics at Coles/Woolworths via the REDcycle soft plastics recycling program)
From Monday 23 November 2020, you will not be able to drop-off paint.
Paintback has temporarily suspended this service because a backlog of paint has built up since COVID-19 restrictions were lifted.
Paint drop-off will resume as soon as the backlog has been processed.
We partner with Paintback to provide a safe way to dispose of your paint waste. Paintback collects and treats waste architectural and decorative paint to divert it from landfill.
The centre accepts a maximum of 100L of waste paint.