About the centre
The Boroondara Recycling and Waste Centre, also known as a tip, transfer station or resource recovery centre, is a place where you can drop off a range of items for recycling or landfill.
The centre accepts recyclables, household waste, general waste (such as disused appliances and white goods) and green waste.
You can also drop-off recyclables at the Kew Depot Recycling Drop-off Centre, including paper, glass, plastics, steel and aluminium cans, but this centre doesn't accept any general waste.
648 Riversdale Road, Camberwell 3124
|Mon-Fri||1pm to 4pm|
|Sat||8am to 4pm|
|Sun||Green waste and recycling only. 8am to 4pm|
Closed on Good Friday, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
It's free to drop off recyclables and some paint and electronic waste items, but charges apply to dispose of some items such as car tyres, fridges and white goods, and mattresses.
A tipping charge per load applies to drop off general waste (non-recyclable items and household waste) and green waste. You can pay by cash, EFTPOS, Visa or Mastercard (no cheques).
Tipping charges as at 1 July 2017
|Vehicle and volume||General waste||Green waste|
|Car boot or station wagon||$27||$19.50|
|Small van or level utility||$60.50||$38|
|Small level trailer, up to 1.8m x 1.2m||$60.50||$38|
|Level single axle trailer, over 1.8m x 1.2m||$94||$56.50|
|Level tandem trailer||$133||$74|
|Large van, high utility or high trailer, up to 1.8m x 1.2m||$133||$62.50|
|High single axle trailer, over 1.8m x 1.2m||$164||$96.50|
|High tandem trailer||$197||$134|
|Mixed loads of spoil, bricks, concrete, soil and rubble are charged at this minimum price up to a small (1.8m x 1.2m) level trailer load. Loads greater than this are charged multiples of this fee.||$133|
For more information, see the Boroondara Recycling and Waste Disposal Centre Fees and Charges.
- All level trailer/utility loads are assessed at a maximum load height of 300mm
- Load heights greater than 300mm will be charged the appropriate higher fee
- The maximum gross vehicle mass is 2 tonnes
- White goods have the same inspection fee as fridges ($19 per item)
- Prices are estimated and subject to final assessment by the centre gatehouse.
Items accepted (free)
- Glass bottles and jars
- Aluminium and steel cans
Council partners with Paintback to provide a safe way to dispose of your paint waste. Paintback collects and treats waste architectural and decorative paint to divert it from landfill.
The centre accepts a maximum of 100L of waste paint*.
Council partners with Sustainability Victoria to deliver the free Detox your Home service to responsibly dispose of everyday toxic products without harming your health or the environment. The collected items are recycled for recovery and diverted from landfill.
The centre is a permanent Detox your Home drop-off site for:
- Gas bottles (maximum 9kg)*
- White polystyrene, including fruit and vegetable boxes, packaging for small and large appliances (residential quantities only)*
- Fluorescent tubes and compact fluorescent lamps
- Car and household batteries
*For residents only. To prove residency, you'll need your Council rate notice or a utility bill showing your address, and your driver's licence.
The centre also accepts some toxic household chemicals during the Detox your Home annual mobile collection service, including acids, car and pool chemicals, aerosol cans, kerosene, paint stripper and solvents.
Council partners with TechCollect to recycle e-waste. The centre accepts:
- Laptops, notebooks, palmtops and tablets
- Computer monitors
- Computer parts: hard drives, motherboards, cables, internal power supplies, DVD and CD drives
- Computer peripherals: mice, keyboards, joysticks, game-pads, scanners, web cameras
- Printers and scanners
Items accepted (charges apply)
|Car tyre with rim||$20.50|
|Fridge and white goods (per item)||$19|
Items not accepted
- Hazardous waste, such as chemicals used by businesses for industrial, commercial or farming purposes
- Syringes, needles or medical waste
- Coloured polystyrene or foam, including meat trays or other similar food packaging, plastic or foam wrapping, tape or strapping, bean bag beans, peanut-shaped loose foam packaging)