Certain waste items won't be accepted at the centre but opening hours will remain the same. See more details about changes at the centre and things that can't be accepted.
About the centre
The Boroondara Recycling and Waste Centre, also known as a tip, transfer station or resource recovery centre, is a place where you can drop off a range of items for recycling or landfill.
The centre accepts recyclables, household waste, general waste (such as disused appliances and white goods) and green waste.
You can also drop-off recyclables at the Kew Depot Recycling Drop-off Centre, including paper, glass, plastics, steel and aluminium cans, but this centre doesn't accept any general waste.
648 Riversdale Road, Camberwell 3124
Phone (customer service)
9278 4444 (Monday to Friday 8am-4pm)
|Mon-Fri||1pm to 4pm|
|Sat||8am to 4pm|
|Sun||Green waste and recycling only. 8am to 4pm|
Closed on Good Friday, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
It's free to drop off recyclables and other waste items, but charges apply to dispose of some items such as car tyres, fridges and white goods, and mattresses. See the items that you can drop off during the partial closure of the centre.
A tipping charge per load applies to drop off general waste (non-recyclable items and household waste) and green waste. You can pay by cash, EFTPOS, Visa or Mastercard (no cheques).
Tipping charges as at 1 July 2019
|Vehicle and volume||General waste||Green waste|
|Car boot or station wagon||$28.50||$20.50|
|Small van or level utility||$64||$40|
|Small level trailer, up to 1.8m x 1.2m||$64||$40|
|Level single axle trailer, over 1.8m x 1.2m||$98.50||$59.50|
|Level tandem trailer||$140||$77.50|
|Large van, high utility or high trailer, up to 1.8m x 1.2m||$140||$65.50|
|High single axle trailer, over 1.8m x 1.2m||$172||$100|
|High tandem trailer||$207||$141|
|Mixed loads of spoil, bricks, concrete, soil and rubble are charged at this minimum price up to a small (1.8m x 1.2m) level trailer load. Loads greater than this are charged multiples of this fee.||$140|
For a full list of current charges, see the Boroondara Recycling and Waste Disposal Centre Fees and Charges (PDF, 6.86 MB).
- All level trailer/utility loads are assessed at a maximum load height of 300mm
- Load heights greater than 300mm will be charged the appropriate higher fee
- The maximum gross vehicle mass is 2 tonnes
- White goods have the same inspection fee as fridges ($20 per item)
- Prices are estimated and subject to final assessment by the centre gatehouse.
Items accepted (free)
Please note: while the centre is partially closed, a number of items can't be collected. See the items that you can drop off during the partial closure of the centre.
- Glass bottles and jars
- Aluminium and steel cans
Items accepted (charges apply)
|Car tyre with rim||$21.50|
|Whitegoods and large e-waste items (per item)||$20|
Items not accepted
- Hazardous waste, such as chemicals used by businesses for industrial, commercial or farming purposes
- Syringes, needles or medical waste
- Coloured polystyrene or foam, including meat trays or similar food packaging, plastic or foam wrapping, tape or strapping, bean bag beans, peanut-shaped loose foam packaging
- Flexible plastics - e.g. bags, wrapping, packaging (recycle flexible plastics at Coles/Woolworths via the REDcycle soft plastics recycling program)