About the centre
You can drop off a range of items at the Boroondara Recycling and Waste Centre. Items can be for both recycling and landfill.
The centre accepts:
You can also:
It is free to drop off recyclables, expanded polystyrene, paint, select household detox items and small to medium electronic waste items.
Charges apply to drop off car tyres, fridges, white goods and mattresses.
A tipping charge per load applies if you are dropping off general waste (non-recyclable items and household waste) and green waste.
You can pay by cash, EFTPOS, Visa or Mastercard (no cheques).
Note: The Boroondara Recycling and Waste Centre does not accept cash at the moment. We have introduced these measures to protect you and our staff from risks associated with COVID-19. Payment can still be made by EFTPOS, Visa or Mastercard.
Tipping charges as at 21 July 2020
|Vehicle and volume||General waste||Green waste|
|Car boot or station wagon||$29||$21|
|Small van or level utility||$65.50||$41|
|Small level trailer, up to 1.8m x 1.2m||$65.50||$41|
|Level single axle trailer, over 1.8m x 1.2m||$101||$61|
|Level tandem trailer||$143.50||$79.50|
|Large van, high utility or high trailer, up to 1.8m x 1.2m||$143.50||$67|
|High single axle trailer, over 1.8m x 1.2m||$176||$102.50|
|High tandem trailer||$212||$144.50|
|Mixed loads of spoil, bricks, concrete, soil and rubble are charged at this minimum price up to a small (1.8m x 1.2m) level trailer load. Loads greater than this are charged multiples of this fee.||$143.50|
- All level trailer/utility loads are assessed at a maximum load height of 300mm
- Load heights greater than 300mm will be charged the appropriate higher fee
- The maximum gross vehicle mass is 2 tonnes
- White goods have the same inspection fee as fridges ($20.50 per item)
- Prices are estimated and subject to final assessment by the centre gatehouse.
|General waste (landfill)||Charged dependent on load size|
|Green waste (garden waste)||Charged dependent on load size|
|Miscellaneous steel products||Charged dependent on load size|
|Building rubble (spoil, bricks, concrete, soil and rubble)||Charged dependent on load size|
|Car tyre with rim||$22|
|Whitegoods and large e-waste items (per item)||$20.50|
These general recyclables are also accepted in your household waste bin.
- Cardboard (flattened)
- Plastic bottles and hard plastic containers
- Glass bottles and jars
- Cans - aluminium and steel
- Aluminium foil
- Empty aerosol bottles
We accept a maximum of 100 L of waste paint.
Wet and dry paint are both accepted.
We partner with Paintback to provide a safe way to dispose of your paint waste. Paintback collects and treats waste architectural and decorative paint to divert it from landfill.
We accept one car boot load (half a cubic metre) of expanded polystyrene for free from Boroondara residents and businesses. Please provide proof of residency or local trading when you drop off the polystyrene.
We don't accept payment to drop off more than one car boot load of expanded polystyrene.
We only accept clean, white, expanded polystyrene foam packaging. We don't accept coloured polystyrene, noodles, beans (from bean bags) or other flexible foam packaging that's not polystyrene.
Businesses with more than one boot load (half a cubic metre) of expanded polystyrene must organise a commercial polystyrene collection from their business, instead.
We accept clean, reusable clothes and textiles in the clothing collection bank.
Items accepted for drop off
As a permanent Detox your Home drop-off site, we only accepts these items:
- gas bottles (maximum 9kg)*
- fluorescent tubes, globes and compact fluorescent lamps
- car and household batteries
- motor oil (20L max in disposable container)
- cooking oil (20L max in disposable container).
Other household chemicals
There is an annual Detox Your Home collections day available for a broader range of household chemicals.
For a full list of what is accepted in the mobile collection, see Detox Your Home annual mobile collection items accepted and not accepted.
For mobile annual collection dates, see Detox your home annual mobile collection points and dates.
Electronic waste (e-waste)
The centre accepts all e-waste for recycling – except solar panels, liquid filled heaters and massage chairs.
E-waste is anything with a plug, battery, cord or alternative power supply, such as toasters, computers, TVs, heaters and hairdryers.
- items must be loose
- no packaging allowed
- large items such as whitegoods incur a fee.
For more information, see our E-waste page.
We partner with TechCollect to recycle residential e-waste.
asbestos, learn more on Handling asbestos
- hazardous waste, such as chemicals used by businesses for industrial, commercial or farming purposes, learn more at Detox your home, business recycling or ChemClear
- medical waste, learn how to dispose of syringes, needles
- coloured polystyrene or foam, including meat trays or similar food packaging, plastic or foam wrapping, tape or strapping, bean bag beans, peanut-shaped loose foam packaging
- flexible plastics - such as bags, wrapping, packaging. Find your nearest Coles/Woolworths REDcycle program)
- certain e-waste items, such as: solar panels, liquid-filled heaters, massage chairs.