You need to apply for a Promotion Permit if you want to run a promotional event on Council controlled land, such as a park, footpath, nature strip, public car park or road. If you don't have a permit, you may receive a fine.

Promotional events include:

  • promoting
  • spruiking
  • selling
  • distributing (giveaways)
  • any activity that may disrupt the public.

Apply for a Promotion Permit online

You need to submit your application at least 10 business days before the event.

If your request involves more than one Council department or a non-Council authority, your application may take more time to process. If you would like advice before applying, please call us on (03) 9278 4444.

Apply for a Promotion Permit

If you want to occupy Council-controlled land in front of a business, you need to get approval from the business owner or supervisor. In your application, include either: 

  • written approval from the business owner
  • the business owner’s contact details if it's a verbal agreement.  

You need to provide all the requested supporting documentation with your application. We'll contact you if we need more information. 

If your application is approved, we'll email you a permit.

You can only apply for one event or activity per application.

Permit fees

  • Application fee for a Promotional Permit: $91.50 (non-refundable)
  • Promotional Permit fee per day: $160

We’ll send you an invoice if your application is approved.

If your event needs other Council permissions, such as food business registration, health-related permits, traffic plans or a filming permit, you may need to pay other fees.

Other permits you may need

If your event involves fundraising, you need to apply for a Fundraising Permit and submit it with your application. You can do this on our Apply for a Fundraising Permit page.

If your event involves food, you may also need to apply for a food permit. For more information about food permits, visit our Register a temporary or mobile food business page.

You will need to book the space if your event is going to be held at any of the following:

  • A park
  • A garden
  • An open space
  • A hall
  • A sportsground.

You can find out more about the spaces available and how to book them on our Book a space page.

Depending on your event type, you may also need to read the information on our:

More information

For more information, contact us on (03) 9278 4444.

Was this page helpful?