When considering property development in Boroondara, it's important to consider the risk of flooding.
Flooding is usually caused by heavy or prolonged rainfall resulting in either:
- mainstream flooding: this generally occurs when water breaks the banks of watercourses onto adjoining low-lying land
- stormwater flooding: this occurs when the drainage system does not have the capacity to deal with the rainfall run-off.
In Boroondara, areas potentially affected by mainstream flooding are identified with a Land Subject to Inundation Overlay or Urban Floodway Zone. Areas likely to be impacted by stormwater flooding are identified with a Special Building Overlay.
You may need a Planning Permit to develop within a flood overlay or zone.
Determining whether flood risk impacts your property
To check whether your property is within a flood risk overlay or zone:
- Go to Planning Maps Online and search for your address.
- Select Get Report and follow the prompts to open a planning report of overlays and zones that impact your property.
- Refer to the report to see whether any of the following appear:
- Land Subject to Inundation Overlay (LSIO)
- Special Building Overlay (SBO)
- Urban Floodway Zone (UFZ).
Note that identifying flood risk is an ongoing process for Council and Melbourne Water. Even if your property is not currently identified for flood risk, there is always the potential for flooding issues to be identified in the future.
For more information about the impact of flooding, visit the Melbourne Water website or contact Melbourne Water on 9679 7517.
Read about Council's flood mapping study of all drainage catchments across Boroondara.
Flood risk and Planning Permits
If LSIO, SBO or UFZ appear on your report from Planning Maps Online, there is a greater likelihood that you need a Planning Permit for your development.
The Boroondara Planning Scheme provides more information about Planning Permit requirements and exemptions for properties affected by:
- Land Subject to Inundation Overlay (PDF 28.6 KB)
- Special Building Overlay (PDF 36.5 KB)
- Urban Floodway Zone (PDF 31.3 KB)
To help clarify planning requirements for your flood zone or overlay, email Statutory Planning or call 9278 4888.