Check your flood risk overlays and zones
Together with Melbourne Water we determine certain flood risk overlays and zones.
Your property is at risk of flooding if any of these apply to it:
- Land Subject to Inundation Overlay (flood risk from watercourses)
- Special Building Overlay (flood risk from stormwater)
- Urban Flood Zone (flood risk from watercourses).
Check your property's overlays and zones and create a property report on the VicPlan website.
Properties with a flood risk overlay
When your property has a flood risk overlay you need a planning permit to do works.
As part of your planning permit application, you need consent from Melbourne Water.
Call Melbourne Water on (03) 9679 7517 to discuss your plans.
Other types of flood risk
We do not encourage development on land within an Urban Flood Zone.
We work with Melbourne Water to regularly assess flood risk. Your property could be identified in future, even if it is not currently at risk.
Some properties are at risk of flash flooding during rare rainfall events. We identified these properties in our flood mapping study. We notified all properties affected by the study.
Get a flood assessment report
Get a flood assessment report from us if you plan to build or renovate on flood-prone land:
The report tells you:
- the flood risk to your property
- what approvals you need to build or develop on your land
- the potential impact on existing buildings, current or future works
- design requirements you need to meet
- a map of the potential flooding.
We will send your report within 30 business days.
Apply for permits and approvals
If your property is in a flood overlay, apply for a Planning Permit.
If our flood assessment report shows that your property has a flood risk:
- apply for a Report and Consent to build in flood-prone areas
- apply for flood level approval before you start any building works.
Check the Boroondara Planning Scheme for more information.