Graffiti is illegal, wastes time and resources to remove, and affects the charm of properties and buildings.
If you see graffiti in your local area, report it to the relevant authority.
Graffiti on private property
If there is graffiti on your residential or commercial property, report it to the police and include a photo if possible.
After you've reported it to the police we recommend you remove it within 24 hours. This makes it less likely to happen again.
We can provide you with:
- a voucher for 4 L of free paint to cover graffiti on painted surfaces
- a free graffiti removal kit for non-painted surfaces, such as brick walls.
To request a kit or paint voucher email [email protected] or call (03) 9278 4444.
Graffiti on council property
Council property includes:
- council buildings and signs
- street furniture such as bins and seats
- public toilets
- parks and reserves
- playgrounds and equipment
- fire hydrants.
To report graffiti on council property you can use the Snap Send Solve app-external site. It's free to download from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
Or you can call us on (03) 9278 4444.
We remove graffiti from council property within 24 business hours. We remove offensive graffiti within 4 hours.
Graffiti on public property
If graffiti is on public property, such as along railway lines or on traffic lights or poles, report it to the responsible authority using the table below.
Railway stations and crossings
Alongside railway tracks
Public Transport Victoria
Call 1800 800 007 or visit feedback and complaints on the PTV website-external site
If on Toorak Road, Camberwell Road, Riversdale Road, Cotham Road, High Street, Burwood Road or Power Street:
Call 1800 800 166 or fill in the Yarra Trams customer feedback form-external site
Telephone junction poles and pit covers
Other Telstra property
Call 13 22 03
Traffic signal boxes
Traffic signal poles
Call 13 11 70 or visit the VicRoads website-external site
CityPower (north of Toorak Rd)
Call 13 12 80
United Energy (south of Toorak Rd)
Call 132 099
Post boxes or mail delivery boxes
Call 13 13 18
Graffiti management strategy
Our graffiti management strategy sets out our approach to graffiti management in Boroondara.
It has 6 themes:
- Reporting - how the public reports graffiti to us, and how we report it to other authorities
- Removal - how we remove graffiti on council property and how we support its removal on private property
- Partnerships - how we work with other organisations to help manage graffiti
- Prevention - our actions that help prevent graffiti from happening, such as landscaping and security
- Advocacy - how we advocate about removing graffiti on assets owned by other authorities
- Internal governance - how we oversee the strategy's implementation.
There are objectives and actions for each theme. We work with internal stakeholders, external agencies and the community to deliver the strategy.