Anyone can park a vehicle on a public road if the vehicle is registered and legally parked.
If a vehicle has been parked near you for a period of time and you're not sure who owns it, talk to your neighbours first.
If you are uncertain whether the vehicle is registered, check its registration status on the VicRoads website-external site.
Vehicles are cars, motorcycles, vans, trucks, trailers and caravans.
How to report an abandoned vehicle
If the registration is not current, you can report the vehicle to us as abandoned or unregistered and we'll investigate it.
Your identity will be kept private.
Report an abandoned vehicle online
Any extra details can help us identify the vehicle. If possible, please provide the vehicle's:
- registration number
- location, including street number
- colour, make and model
Attaching photos will help us locate the vehicle.
We investigate each report
Once you've reported the vehicle, we need to find out if the vehicle is abandoned or just parked.
- check if the vehicle is registered with VicRoads
- try to identify its owner
- notify the owner to remove the vehicle if it's unregistered
- put a notice on the windscreen with the due date for removal
- monitor the vehicle
- organise for the vehicle to be towed and impounded if the owner takes no action.
If the vehicle is registered and parked legally, the owner may not need to move their vehicle.
For more information contact our Local Laws team at [email protected] or on (03) 9278 4444.