You might be eligible for an Accessibility Parking Permit if you have a significant injury or disability. You can apply for an Accessible Parking Permit as a driver, passenger or organisation.

You can only have one permit at any time and they are only valid for the vehicle that the permit holder is travelling in – as a driver or passenger.

It is free to apply for an Accessible Parking Permit. If you have this permit you can park for free in the City of Boroondara in areas where parking fees apply. However, you can’t park in restricted locations such as:

  • clearways
  • no standing zones
  • taxi ranks
  • bus zones
  • authorised residential areas.

Types of Accessible Parking Permits

There are different types of Accessible Parking Permits. They have different concessions and are categorised based on a person's needs.

Visit the VicRoads website to find out which permit you are eligible for.

Apply or renew permit

Your Accessible Parking Permit does not renew automatically. You must renew it when it expires.

Step 1: Complete the online form

You can apply for an Accessible Parking Permit on the VicRoads website.

Apply for or renew your permit online

You will get a reference number which you will need for step 2.

If you prefer to fill in a paper-based form, call (03) 9278 4444 or email [email protected].

Step 2: Visit your doctor

After you have applied for a permit online, visit your doctor or occupational therapist.

They will complete an online assessment and submit your application to us.

Step 3: We issue your permit

Once you’ve submitted your form, we’ll send you a confirmation email and mail you your permit within 28 days.

If we have any questions or need any more information, we'll contact you.

We’ll also add or update your details in our customer database.

Replace a lost, stolen or damaged permit

If you need to replace a lost, stolen or damaged permit, you can do this on the VicRoads portal. 

Replace a permit online

If you have lost your permit or it has been stolen, you must submit a statutory declaration detailing how and when the permit was lost or stolen to us. Your statutory declaration must be completed and signed by an authorised witness.

You can submit your completed statutory declaration when you collect your replacement permit.

If your permit is damaged, you must return the damaged permit to our local offices. You can do this after you have completed the form on the VicRoads portal. We’ll then issue you with a new permit.

Cancel a permit

If a permit has expired, is cancelled or is no longer required, you need to return it to Council offices.

If you misuse your Accessible Parking permit, we may cancel your permit and fine you. 

Using a permit interstate

You can use your Accessible Parking Permit interstate. Make sure you check rules and regulations to the state or territory you are travelling to as parking concessions may be different.