The Disabled Persons' Parking Scheme operates in Victoria. See VicRoads - Disability parking for more information on the scheme.
Two categories of Disability Parking Permit are available, each with different parking concessions based on a person's needs. Which permit you are eligible for is based on the VicRoads assessment criteria.
There is no fee for a Disability Parking Permit.
Blue parking permit (Category 1)
A blue permit is for people with a significant ambulatory disability and they cannot access a vehicle in an ordinary parking bay, or they are required to use a complex walking aid that prevents access to vehicle in an ordinary parking bay. A blue permit allows the permit holder to:
- park in a designated disability car parking space
- park for twice as long in a standard car parking space.
Green parking permit (Category 2)
A green permit is for people who need rest breaks when walking. A green permit allows the permit holder to:
- park for twice as long in a timed car parking space.
A green permit holder is not allowed to park in a designated disability car parking space.
Both green and blue permits also have one of the following codes:
- Code A: for a driver or passenger with a disability
- Code B: for a passenger with a disability
- Code C: for an organisation providing transport for people with a disability
- Code D: for a temporary permit.
Permits are valid for the following periods:
- Code A permit and Code B permit for 3 years
- Code C permit for 12 months
- Code D permit from 6 months to 2 years (according to the length of time specified by the doctor in the application form).