A legal point of discharge is the point where the rainwater that runs off a property (stormwater) flows into the council drain network. 

To find this point, you need to apply for a legal point of discharge certificate. The certificate will show you the location and connection type allowed for the property. 

Documents required for application 

Include the following documents in your application: 

  • Floor plans of the proposed development, showing the ground floor and any basement levels
  • Current copy of the Certificate of Title.

If you don't have floor plans yet, you can still submit an application. However, we may need to reassess your application once we see your plans. Any information or advice we give you now may change.  

Application fee 

The application fee is $146.90. 

How to apply 

You can apply for a legal point of discharge online. 

Apply for a legal point of discharge

After you apply

We might contact you if there is information missing from your application. When we have all the required information, we will respond to you within 10 business days. 

We will: 

  • assess your application
  • issue consent
  • email you a certificate showing the point of discharge you can use. 

We may also advise: 

  • if you need an on-site detention system
  • if you need to apply for an outfall drain
  • if there are easements on your property
  • if your property is in a flood zone, and the authority responsible for that zone 
  • how to collect and dispose of groundwater. 

Declared roads 

If the point of discharge is one a declared road (freeway, arterial road, or a non-arterial state road), you will need to do the following before starting works: 

Groundwater collection and disposal 

Our drainage system is designed to collect stormwater only, which is rainwater that runs off surfaces such as roads, roofs, driveways and buildings. 

When water below the land surface (groundwater), collects and runs through our drainage system, it can become a safety hazard. 

Groundwater can often collect and become dangerous when there are constructions with a finished floor level 1.2 m below the natural ground level. 

If you're planning on doing works of this kind, then your builder or developer needs to propose a way to safety dispose of the groundwater. This might include: 

  • construction of underground pipe drains to the nearest council drain pit
  • isolation of the groundwater collected on site and discharged into an adjacent council drain 
  • isolation of the groundwater collected on site and re-used within the premises. 

We will assess all proposed methods and approve the appropriate solution. 

More information

For help or advice, contact us on 9278 4444, or email [email protected] 

Was this page helpful? *