Stormwater is the rising surface water that results from heavy rainfall.

Stormwater flows through your property's private drainage system to Council's stormwater drainage system, which includes pipes, kerbs, open waterways and channels.

The point where your stormwater runs off your roof and discharges into Council’s drainage infrastructure is the point of discharge (also known as the legal point of discharge).

Stormwater flowing from private drainage to the approved point of discharge

This diagram shows private drainage flowing into Council drainage at the approved point of discharge.

Stormwater does not include:

  • groundwater or seepage that rises above the ground on your property, such as damp patches in your backyard or flooded sections of land. These must not be connected to our drainage system.
  • wastewater from basins, sinks, showers, baths, laundries, toilets and swimming pools. These must be connected into the sewerage system, not our drainage system. For wastewater queries, contact Yarra Valley Water.

Easements for stormwater drainage

A drainage easement is a section of a property to which Council, or other nominated agencies or authorities, have access rights in order to maintain essential drainage infrastructure.

It is important to know if there are easements on your land, identify access pits, keep easements clear of obstacles and provide Council with access when needed.

Council does not allow you to build habitable structures in easements, but some lightweight, removable structures may be permitted. If your building plans impact a drainage easement, either modify your plans or submit a build over easement enquiry.

Was this page helpful? *