If you can’t find an item in our libraries' collections, you can either:
- borrow from a library outside Boroondara
- request us to buy the item.
Borrow from another library
If we don’t have an item available, you can request it from libraries outside Boroondara. This is called an ‘inter-library loan’ and the conditions are slightly different, plus a fee applies.
Request an inter-library loan
- If the item you are looking for is not in our catalogue, search for the item at LibraryLink Victoria.
- When you find the item, select the title and click the ‘Get It’ button.
- Your ‘borrower ID’ is your membership number - the 14 digits under the barcode on your card.
- Your password is your 6-digit PIN (your date of birth in DDMMYY format) or the password you set up.
- If you've forgotten your password, you can reset your password.
- You'll receive an email (if you have set up an email address in your account) or a letter when the item has arrived. Inter-library loans may take 4 weeks or longer to arrive.
Fees and conditions
A standard charge of $6.10 applies for transferring the item to a library in the City of Boroondara. A charge of $16.50 may apply for items from state, academic and special libraries. You pay this fee when you pick up your item.
Loan periods may vary. To renew your loan, you'll need to contact us at least 7 days before the due date on 9278 4666 or ask a librarian.
Some items, such as State Library and National Library material, can only be used within our libraries – you're not allowed to take the item home. Our staff will let you know before you borrow.
Buy a new item
We’re always looking for great resources to add to our collections as long as they are:
- still in print and available
- current and suitable for the community
- a reasonable price
- in line with our Library Collection Development Policy.
Unfortunately, we're not able to take requests for:
- school or university textbooks
- technical or professional material
- items in languages other than English.
Request a new item
If you can't find the item you are looking for in our catalogue, you can:
Or speak to a librarian at your local library.
It's helpful if you can provide as much information about the item as possible, such as title, author, ISBN (International Standard Book Number – all 13 digits), publisher, publication date and series title.
What happens after you submit your request?
If we're able to purchase the item, we'll reserve it for you and you’ll receive an email or a letter once it’s available. We ask you to be patient - some items need to be imported, or have not yet been published.
If we are unable to purchase your item, we'll send a message to your library account.