On this page
Library membership is free and open to all Victorian residents.
Become a member
Library membership is free and available to all community members. You can join at any Boroondara Library Service branch by presenting proof of your name and current address.
People of all ages can join, and those under the age of 18 require a signature from their parent or guardian when registering.
To join online, select the 'Join the library' button below. This will direct you to the registration page.
Please note that online membership gives you access to the library’s online resources for 60 days only.
If you would like a full membership and library card, please visit one of our branches with proof of your name and current address. During your visit, please advise staff that you have completed the online registration.
Identification for library membership
We accept the following cards and documents as identification:
- driver licence or certified copy of driver licence
- car registration
- proof of age card
- Council rate notice
- formal rental agreement
- Health Benefits card or certified copy of Health Benefits card
- Department of Social Security card or certified copy of Social Security card
- bank or credit card statement (digital copies also accepted)
- gas, water, phone or electricity bill (digital copies also accepted)
- any formal letter from a federal, state or local government authority
- any formal letter from an educational institution such as TAFE or university
- payslip (digital copies also accepted).
You don’t have to live in the City of Boroondara to become a member, but you do need a Victorian residential address. Temporary visitors to the area may join for a limited period.
Children under 18 need a parent or legal guardian to sign their membership card.
Membership number and PIN
Your 'membership number' (borrower ID) is the 14-digit number on the back of your membership card, below the barcode.
Your PIN is your date of birth in the DDMMYY format. For example, if you were born on 8 September 1956, your 6-digit PIN is 080956.
Once you're a member, you'll be able to use your membership number and PIN to:
- borrow, reserve, renew or request items online
- use online resources for research and study or to learn and develop
- log in to free Wi-Fi
- book a computer or study room
- sign up for email notifications.
You can ask one of our librarians to change your membership number to a username or email address, and your PIN to a password.
Reset your password
If you need to reset your password, you can do so by selecting your button below and providing either:
- Your 'membership number' (borrower ID) and surname
- Your email address, first name, and surname
Library email notifications
As a member, you can register to receive an email when:
- items are due back soon or are overdue
- items you have reserved are available for collection
- new items are added to the library catalogue
- you borrow items and want an electronic copy of the receipt (issue slip).
Receive an alert when items are due soon or ready to collect
- Log into your library account and select 'Personal details'.
- Add your email address to the Contact Details section.
- In the Other Details section, select 'Receive library notices via email'. Then choose how long before the due date you would like a reminder.
- Select 'Update' to save your changes.
Receive alerts when new items are added to the catalogue
- Log into your library account and select 'New Alert Profile'.
- Create your alert profile by adding search keywords. Then test your search to see if it provides what you want.
- Set your alert frequency and add a description of your alert.
- Select 'Save'.
Receive an email copy of your loan receipt
To receive issue slips by email, call Boroondara Library Service on (03) 9278 4666 or speak to staff at the library. The staff member will set up the email notification.
Replace or reactivate a library card
If you have lost your library card, let us know by coming into the library or calling us on (03) 9278 4666. To get a new card, you will need to show current ID and pay a fee of $6.30.
Library cards expire after 2 years. Please come into the library and speak to a librarian to reactivate your card on the spot.