We actively encourage and support volunteering through our Boroondara Volunteer Resource Centre (BVRC).
The BVRC offers a range of free services to support both volunteers and community organisations seeking volunteers.
Each year we refer over 1,000 prospective volunteers to community organisations and 91% of volunteers who used the BVRC referral service said they would recommend it to family and friends.
How we help community organisations
For community organisations we offer:
- opportunities to connect with skilled professionals looking to volunteer their skills as part of the Boroondara Volunteer Skills Bank
- promotion of your volunteer opportunities
- referral program to connect you with prospective volunteers
- networking events
- resources to help you manage volunteers
- training workshops for volunteer managers.
How we help volunteers
For volunteers we offer:
- assistance to find volunteer opportunities or ideas to get you started
- the Boroondara Volunteer Skills Bank to connect you with skilled volunteer projects
- a library of resources and information on getting the most out of your volunteer experience
- training workshops
- newsletters to keep you up to date on the latest volunteer opportunities and community news
- volunteer recognition events.
Our annual events for volunteers and organisations
Each year we run several events to connect organisations with prospective volunteers, and to recognise and thank volunteers for their contribution.
Boroondara Volunteer Expo
The BVRC runs the Boroondara Volunteer Expo every March. At this popular event, potential volunteers can discover the many diverse volunteer opportunities in our community, and community organisations can engage with hundreds of volunteers.
Skilled Volunteer Meet
In late October we host a networking event to match volunteers with local organisations who need skilled professionals.
International Volunteer Day recognition event
In early December we host a free celebration afternoon tea at the City of Boroondara for volunteer managers and their volunteers to thank them for their contribution to the community.
Boroondara has the highest rate of volunteering in the greater Melbourne area with 26% of the Boroondara population (35,999 people) reporting that they performed voluntary work in the 12 months prior to the 2016 Census.
The City of Boroondara Council is one of only a few Victorian councils operating as a volunteer referral service.