We actively encourage and support volunteering through the Boroondara Volunteer Resource Centre (BVRC) located in our Council offices in Camberwell.
The BVRC offers a range of free services to support both volunteers and community organisations seeking volunteers.
How we help volunteers
For volunteers we offer:
- volunteering opportunities or ideas to get you started
- the Volunteer Skills Bank to connect you with skilled volunteer projects
- a library of resources and information on getting the most out of your volunteer experience
- training workshops
- newsletters to keep you up to date
- volunteer recognition events.
How we help community organisations
For community organisations we offer:
- help to find volunteers for your organisation
- promotion of your volunteer opportunities
- referral program to connect you with prospective volunteers
- networking events
- resources to help you manage volunteers
- training workshops for volunteer managers.
The BVRC runs the free, annual Boroondara Volunteer Expo every March. At this popular event, potential volunteers can discover more about the many diverse opportunities in our community, and community organisations can engage with hundreds of volunteers.
Boroondara has the highest rate of volunteering in the greater Melbourne area with 26% of the Boroondara population (35,999 people) reporting that they performed voluntary work in the 12 months prior to the 2016 Census.
The City of Boroondara Council is one of only a few Victorian councils operating as a volunteer referral service - that is, referring volunteers to local community organisations.