- You can enrol your child in 3- and 4-year-old kindergarten through the Boroondara Kindergarten Central Enrolment Scheme (BKCES).
- You need to choose 5 preferred kindergartens when you apply.
- Offers are sent late July or Early August.
- BKCES cannot guarantee a kindergarten place for all children.
You can enrol in 3-year-old and 4-year-old kindergarten through the Boroondara Kindergarten Central Enrolment Scheme (BKCES). This scheme is run by Council and has 27 participating kindergartens.
To apply for a place in a kindergarten that is not part of the BKCES, you need to contact the centre directly.
Most childcare centres, including long day care, also offer funded kindergarten programs that are delivered by qualified kindergarten teachers.
You can apply for a kindergarten place once your child has turned 2 years old. Applications close at the end of term 2 in the year before attendance.
You can still apply for a kindergarten place after the closing date; however, your application will be placed at the end of the waiting list and the selection criteria do not apply.
How to enrol
Step 1: Choose your preferred kindergartens
On the application form you need to indicate:
- your preferred 5 BKCES kindergartens in order of preference
- your preferred groups within these 5 kindergartens, plus any optional extended hours.
We encourage you to make an appointment to visit or attend the open days held at your preferred kindergartens. Open days are often held during Education Week towards the end of May each year.
- Priority is given to Boroondara residents who chose their closest BKCES kindergarten.
- If your child or a sibling is currently attending 3-year-old kindergarten, we recommend that you put this kindergarten as your first preference.
- To apply for a place in a kindergarten that is not part of the BKCES, contact the centre directly.
Step 2: Complete the application form
Complete one application form per child.
As part of your application, you also need to pay a non-refundable fee:
- $25.50 ($12.75 concession) for 3-year-old or 4-year-old kindergarten place
- $51 ($25.50 concession) for 3-year-old and 4-year-old kindergarten place.
Special consideration may be granted based on disability, illness or other circumstances as they arise.
To be eligible, you will need to provide supporting documentation from a medical practitioner, health care worker or an authority with particular expertise.
Additional or special needs
You can indicate on your application form if your child has additional or special needs.
The Department of Education and Training has more information about Kindergarten Inclusion Support.
Step 3: Enrolment confirmation and offer
You'll receive an email when your application has been lodged in the BKCES system.
Within 4 weeks of submitting your application, you'll receive a confirmation letter.
By early August, you'll receive a letter advising if your child has a place in a kindergarten or is on a waiting list.
Second round offers are posted 2 weeks after first round offers close, and subsequent offers will be made as positions become available and until all vacancies are filled.
For more information on the allocation of kindergarten places, see how kindergarten places are allocated.
It's important to note that BKCES cannot guarantee a kindergarten place. Generally, all 4-year-old children will be placed by the end of the offer process; however, demand is high for 3-year-old places in some kindergartens.