We’re encouraging you to share your feedback about Boroondara’s parks and open spaces by taking part in the Australian Park Life Survey. This research is being facilitated by the Australian Urban Design Research Centre (AUDRC) at The University of Western Australia and the Australian Urban Research Infrastructure Network (AURIN).
Data received through this research will be provided to us. On a local level, your feedback can:
- help us capture a snapshot of the parks and spaces that you use, and how you use them
- give us a better understanding of your overall satisfaction in utilising Boroondara’s open spaces
- help guide our future planning, design and maintenance of parks and public open spaces.
You’ll be asked things like:
- which parks you use regularly and how you use these spaces
- information about your physical, social, emotional and mental health, to help researchers understand the health benefits associated with using parks and outdoor open spaces.
- your interest in having different “smart” technology installed in local parks, and your preference for different climate and water sensitive park designs.
The survey will take approximately 10 minutes to complete. All answers will be anonymous, confidential and reported or published as a group.
The survey closes at 11:59 pm on Monday 31 August 2023.
Approval to conduct this research has been provided by the University of Western Australia, in accordance with its ethics review and approval procedures.
Why this data is being collected
Australia is currently lacking consistent and accurate representations of spatial data on parks and public open spaces at a local government level. This data includes information on the shape and location of geographical areas such as natural features, buildings, and plots of land.
By collecting consistent data across all local government areas, this survey will provide all Councils with the chance to learn more about our parks and public open spaces.
On a national level, results from this survey will:
- develop a nationally consistent spatial dataset of parks and public open spaces across Australia
- create precise spatial data for Councils to visualise when planning transportation routes, land use, water, energy and other critical needs for the community
- guide the development of future park and public open spaces that are shaped by your experiences and preferences.
Parks and open spaces in Boroondara
Research shows that living near a public open space can increase wellbeing and mental health and improve air quality and biodiversity. The City of Boroondara has more than 244 parks, open gardens and reserves and over 119 fun and engaging playgrounds for children of all ages.
With over 177 hectares of open spaces in Boroondara, there is something to suit everyone. You can see the parks, playgrounds and off-leash areas near you by using the map on our Find a park near you page.
You can see the parks, playgrounds and off-leash areas near you by using the map on our Find a park near you page.
If you have questions about our parks and open spaces in Boroondara, you can contact us by emailing [email protected] or you can call us on (03) 9278 4444. If you have questions about the Australian Park Life Survey, you can email [email protected].