The safety education program at Kew Traffic School aims to deliver a program which promotes the safety, health and wellbeing of children and the broader community now and into the future. The program teaches children basic safety skills as cyclists, pedestrians and passengers. It also provides a safe environment for children to learn road rules, build confidence and become independent road users.
How our sessions run
The program is run by a trained teacher and is developed in line with the Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework and the Victorian Curriculum F-10.
Each program runs for 90 minutes and includes an interactive education presentation, a guided walk around Kew Traffic School to discuss safety features and practice safety as a pedestrian. Children then get to practice safety as cyclists by riding around the track on a bike that suits their size and development.
There are 13 cubby houses, a train, a tram, traffic lights, street signs and crossings for children to engage in imaginative play.
Sessions run weekdays during school term (excluding public holidays) at the following times:
- 9:30am to 11am
- 11:15am to 12:45pm
- 1:20pm to 2:50pm
The program is designed for school, kindergarten or childcare groups aged from 3 to 10 years. Sessions are capped at 30 children. Kew Traffic School is fully fenced with a secure gate and the session includes exclusive use of the facility.
We provide educational resources before the session to support your planning and include a risk assessment. After the session, we provide a certificate of attendance and additional resources to share with parents and carers.
It’s important to note that:
- Bikes are provided on the day (with and without training wheels).
- Children need to bring their own helmet on the day to ensure it is fitted correctly.
- We recommend a supervision ratio of 1 adult to 6 children.
- There is a designated bus bay for drop off and pick up on Grange Road.
- Toilets are available on site.
- There is a Yarra Valley Water drinking fountain that can also refill drink bottles.
Booking a Safety Education session
Safety Education sessions can be booked online. We accept payment by credit or debit card, or alternatively you can email [email protected] and request an invoice for your booking.
Safety Education sessions are 90 minutes long, and cost:
- $142 (inc. GST) per session for schools and centres located in the City of Boroondara
- $192 (inc. GST) per session for schools and centres located outside of the City of Boroondara