Some of our systems will not be available between 10pm and 12 midnight on Tuesday 27 August while we make a system upgrade. See more details of what is affected.


  • Many of our parks, gardens and reserves can be hired for a range of events.
  • Different spaces can cater for small groups or up to 300 guests.
  • Fees and bonds apply for some events.

We encourage local residents, businesses and visitors to Boroondara to book our amazing range of green spaces for events and celebrations.

Permitted and non-permitted events

You can use our green spaces for:

  • weddings, birthdays, anniversaries and other parties
  • community events and corporate functions
  • funeral and remembrance ceremonies.

We don't permit events that:

  • prevent general park access, unless the event benefits the greater community and has Council approval
  • involve amplified music, with the exception of carol services and approved community events
  • involve the consumption or possession of alcohol in a way that may interfere with the use and enjoyment of other park users.

To use a venue for sporting activities, including personal training, see hire a sportsground or sports facility.

A Filming Permit is required if you are filming anywhere within Boroondara.

How to book

Step 1: find a venue

See our parks, gardens or reserves pages to view a list of venues, including the facilities available at each one. 

Step 2: request a booking

Request a park, garden or reserve through our online booking system:

Request a park, garden or reserve booking

If it's your first time using the online system, you'll need to create an account with a user name and password.

Once you've created an account, you can view the availability of venues and submit your booking request.

For more information about hiring our parks, gardens or reserves, contact our Parks and Infrastructure team on 9278 4595.

Step 3: confirmation

Once we've received your booking request, we'll notify you if the venue is available at the time you have chosen.

  • If the venue is not available, we'll let you know by email. You'll be invited back to the online booking system to request another day or time.
  • If the venue is available, we'll send you an email to confirm your booking, including an invoice for the fee.

Fees and bonds

A booking fee is required for some types of events. If you are using a marquee or other infrastructure, additional fees apply.

For formal or heritage gardens

  • $144 per hour (this includes exclusive use of the rotunda at Canterbury Gardens and Alexandra Gardens)

Alexandra, Canterbury, Central, Maranoa and Surrey gardens.

For all other parks and gardens

  • $144 per 4-hour block.

Fees for marquees, temporary shades and arbours

Different parks and gardens have different restrictions on the type, size and quantity of the marquee or arbour permitted. If you are using a marquee or other infrastructure, additional fees apply. Refer to the individual parks and gardens to see what is permitted at each park.

Shade type

Fee (GST exempt)

Pop up shade structure up to 3m x 3m (9sqm)

Wedding arbours and chuppahs


Small marquee: 11sqm to 50sqm

For example, small marquee sizes: 3.6m x 3.6m, 3m x 6m, 3m x 9m, 3m x 12m, 4m x 8m, 4.5m x 9m, 4m x 12m, 6m x 6m 


Medium marquee: 51sqm to 100sqm

For example, medium marquee sizes: 6m x 9m, 6m x 12m, 6m x 15m 


Large marquee: over 100sqm

For example, large marquee sizes: 6m x 18m, 6m x 21m, 9m x 12m, 9m x 18m, 9m x 21m, 9m x 24m, 9m x 27m, 9m x 30m


A bond (also known as a security deposit) is required when:

  • the type or size of an event may result in damage
  • the equipment used - such as chairs and tables - may damage the surface of the park
  • vehicle access has been approved.
The bond is refunded following the event, subject to an inspection of the site by Council.

Varies - request on application

Marquee sizes that differ from the above dimensions specified are rounded to the nearest corresponding size (area sqm).

Other fees

Fee (includes GST)

Firework permit fee

You need to apply for a permit to conduct fireworks in any Council location.

$710 in addition to the venue booking fee

Cancellation fee

Charged if you cancel your booking with notice, for processing the refund and return of bond.


Priority processing fee

Where a booking or application is made with less than a week’s notice.


Equipment and access

Chairs and tables

Restrictions apply to the quantity of chairs and tables you are able to bring into a Council-owned park, garden or reserve. This is to protect the park and any watering systems.

If you have attendees with special needs, you may bring a maximum of 6 seats for venues where chairs and tables are normally not permitted.

All chairs and tables must have horizontal bar legs to prevent damage.

Refer to the individual parks and gardens to see what is permitted in each park.


Many of our outdoor areas have built-in barbecues. Portable barbecues are only permitted in: Fairview Park, Wallen Road Reserve and Civic Centre.

In these locations, portable barbecues must only be fuelled by bottle gas and used on sealed, non-flammable surfaces, but not on paths.

Vehicle access

To protect our parks and gardens, motor vehicles and horse-drawn carriages are prohibited from entering the gardens, unless approved for a specific purpose. Discuss vehicle access with Council when you make your booking.


Marquees are allowed in many parks - refer to individual parks and gardens to see what is permitted in each garden.

You need to pay a separate fee in addition to the park booking fee. You also need to pay a bond before your booking can be confirmed. The cost of the bond is calculated on your booking location, type and length, and is refunded subject to a site inspection after the event.

When you set up your marquee, it's important to note:

  • Marquees must not have a floor as that can damage the grass or park surface.
  • Don’t use pegs or anything else that goes into the ground to secure the marquee, as you may damage watering systems. The best options for weighting your marquee are sand bags or water bags.

Shade structures, wedding arbours and chuppahs

Small marquee-type structures, no greater than 3m x 3m (9sqm), are considered a shade structure and there's no permit fee. Refer to individual parks and gardens to see what is permitted at each park.

Note that carpet is not permitted.

When you book, you'll need to confirm the type and size of any small shade structure or arbour.


A Certificate of Currency may be required depending on your booking or event. Council requires a copy of the current Public Liability Insurance Certificate before a booking can be confirmed.

Confetti and rice

Only rose petals may be used as confetti in our parks and gardens. Other types of confetti - including paper - are considered to be litter, while rice and rice paper are not permitted because they attract animals like possums.

Food, drink and alcohol

You may bring food and drinks, and you may serve alcohol, but you can't sell it.

If you do serve food and drinks, make sure you clean up all your rubbish before you leave.

Noise and music

When using approved equipment, including electronic equipment such as a PA system or speakers for amplified music and announcements, you need to operate within the Environment Protection Agency regulations.

Sound from PA equipment must not exceed 65dB(A) between:

  • 12 noon to 6pm, Mondays to Saturdays
  • 12 noon to 5pm on Sundays.


Once your venue booking is confirmed, if you wish to set off fireworks during the event, you need to apply for a permit. This is to ensure the safety of everyone attending, or near, the event. 

How useful was this information?