The North East Link (NEL) is a freeway-standard road that is being built by the Victorian Government. It will link the Metropolitan Ring Road (M80) in Greensborough to the Eastern Freeway at Bulleen Road.
Information on NEL Works
The North East Link Project (NELP) is undertaking early works in preparation for construction of the NEL. Early works activities include realigning service infrastructure such as water mains, sewerage pipes and electrical cables. The works will have impacts on parks and reserves, local streets, and recreational facilities.
We are working with NELP and their contractors to review plans and seek ways to minimise impacts on residents and park users.
Withdrawal from the legal proceedings against NELP and the Victorian Government
Earlier in 2020, we joined with Whitehorse, Banyule and Manningham Councils to launch a legal challenge against NELP and the Victorian Government. Following a lengthy mediation, all four Councils have now withdrawn from the proceedings.
We commenced legal action because of concerns about the lawfulness of using a reference design as the basis for approval of the NEL by the Victorian Government.
For more information, see mediation and settlement outcomes.
Approval of the North East Link
The NEL was approved by the Minister for Planning in January 2020. The approval process included:
- Development of a reference design for the North East Link.
- Preparation of an Environmental Effects Statement (EES) based on the reference design. The EES included:
- Technical reports on the various impacts of the road project.
- A draft Planning Scheme Amendment (GC 98) designed to facilitate the project unencumbered by the need to obtain planning approvals from local authorities.
- A draft Urban Design Strategy and Environmental Management Framework.
- Community consultation on the EES.
- Inquiry and Advisory Committee (IAC) Panel Hearing to review community submissions, hear from impacted stakeholders including local councils and present a report to the Minister for Planning.
- Approval of the project under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
- Review of the IAC report by the Minister for Planning and release of the Minister’s Assessment report.
- Publication of the approved Planning Scheme Amendment in the Victorian Government Gazette.
- Minister for Planning’s Assessment Report on the North East Link.
- Minister for Planning’s Assessment Report – Appendix A – Environmental Performance Requirement.
- Inquiry and Assessment Committee Report on the North East Link.
- Engage Victoria website with links to NEL Environment Effects Statement submissions, recordings of the North East Link IAC panel hearing and all documents tabled during the hearing.
- City of Boroondara’s joint opening submission to the Inquiry and Advisory Committee Panel.
- City of Boroondara’s joint closing submission to the Inquiry and Advisory Committee Panel.
- City of Boroondara closing statement on Bulleen Park and the Boroondara Tennis Centre.
- North East Link website
Ask NELP a question
Visit the North East Link website to submit a question to their project team.