Build, repair or remove a crossover

How to use this guide

Start at Step 1 and answer the questions one at a time until you know whether you need any of the following permits before starting works:

  • Memorandum of Authorisation (VicRoads)
  • Planning Permit
  • Tree Works Permit
  • Vehicular Crossover Permit
  • Asset Protection Permit
  • Road or Footpath Occupancy Permit.

Before you begin

Before finalising your design:

 This is a complex process that is normally carried out by a building contractor.

More information

For information about planning and Planning Permits, contact our Statutory Planning team on (03) 9278 4888 or at [email protected]

For information about building and Building Permits, contact our Building Services team on (03) 9278 4999 or at [email protected].

Check if your property is located on a declared road

Search for your property address on the Map of declared roads on the VicRoads website. If your property is on a declared road, you need to submit a Memorandum of Authorisation (MOA) to VicRoads.

Is your property on a declared road?




Check if a Heritage Overlay affects your works

  1. Go to VicPlan and search for the address of your property.

  2. Follow the prompts to create and open a free Planning Property Report.

  3. On the Report, go to the Planning Overlay section to see whether a Heritage Overlay affects your property.
  4. In the Planning Overlay section, look at the map to see the area of your site covered by the Heritage Overlay. Refer to your plans to see whether you will be performing works in that area.

Will you be performing works in a Heritage Overlay?



Check if your property is on the Victorian Heritage Register

  1. Refer to the report from VicPlan.
  2. Look for the Heritage Overlay Schedule link and take note of the schedule number.
  3. Click the Heritage Overlay Schedule link. The Schedule to the Heritage Overlay page appears.
  4. Find your schedule number. See whether the 'Included on the Victorian Heritage Register' column displays 'Yes' for your schedule number.

If the property is on the Victorian Heritage Register:

  • You may need approval from Heritage Victoria for or any buildings and works including internal changes. Contact Heritage Victoria for advice on how to apply for their approval.
  • You may continue to apply for other permits while your Heritage Victoria application is being assessed. But you can only begin construction after all necessary approvals and permits are granted.

Is your property listed on the Victorian Heritage Register?




Check if other planning overlays affect the works

Refer to the report from VicPlan to see whether the proposed works fall within any of the following:

  • Environmental Significance Overlay
  • Public Acquisition Overlay
  • Design and Development Overlay (excluding Design and Development Overlay Schedule 4)
  • Significant Landscape Overlay
  • Land Subject to Inundation Overlay
  • Vegetation Protection Overlay.

Do the works fall in any of the overlays listed in this step?



Check if your project is affected by a Special Building Overlay

On the report from VicPlan, see whether 'Special Building Overlay' appears.

Does your project propose works within a Special Building Overlay?



Check if your development impacts floodplain management

If your property is in a Special Building Overlay (SBO), there is a risk the development could affect floodplains. The works could obstruct a flow path or change existing surface levels.

To determine whether your works impact floodplain management, do either of the following:

  • Contact Melbourne Water and query whether the works will obstruct the flowpath of flood water. Request a response in writing, or
  • Refer to your plans to see whether the works involve any activities that will make the ground higher or lower, for example excavating the property or depositing filling soil. If you are unsure, consult a Land Surveyor.

Will the works impact floodplain management?




Apply for a Planning Permit, if needed

If you have determined that you need a Planning Permit for your project, you need to:

  1. Obtain a clear copy of your Certificate of Title, including the lot plan. You can get this from the Landata website. The Certificate of Title must be no more than 28 days' old.
  2. Write a cover letter explaining your proposal.
  3. Complete the Planning Permit application form and lodge the form, fee and supporting documents with Council. 
    To download the form and submit the application, see Apply for a Planning Permit.
  4. Now check whether you need a Tree Works Permit.

VicSmart eligibility

A Planning Permit application for a crossover is eligible to be assessed as a VicSmart application if your land is affected by either of the following:




Check whether you need a Tree Works Permit

You need to apply for a Tree Works Permit if you are planning to remove, prune or do works within 2m of a canopy or significant tree.

Does your development require a Tree Works Permit?



Apply for a Vehicular Crossing Permit

A vehicular crossing is the section of driveway between the road and a property. You always need a Vehicular Crossing Permit before you start works on a driveway.

You need to apply for a Vehicular Crossing Permit.

Then go to the next step.



Check if works could impact public assets

If your driveway or crossover could impact public assets, such as a road, footpath or naturestrip, you need to submit an Asset Protection Permit application.

Could the works impact public assets?



Check if you need to store materials on Council land

If you need to store equipment at the work site, you need to apply for a Road or Footpath Occupancy Permit.

Will you be storing equipment at the work site?



Check Council assets haven't been damaged during works

Once all the relevant permits have been granted, you can begin works.

If you damage a public asset during works, you are responsible for the restoration of the asset to its original condition.

See digging up a road, footpath or naturestrip for fees for Council to complete restoration works.

You may exit the guide.