Things to do
- If you are new to the City of Boroondara and looking at Primary School options, the Victorian Government-external site will provide you with all the information you need to help enrol your child.
- School is a big transition for your child. Visit Raising Children Network-external site to understand school and learning.
- Look into before and after school care options if you require it.
- Enrol in one of the many children’s programs at one of our local leisure centres.
- As your child gets older, you will start looking in to Secondary School options. Gather information about schools, visit open days and talk to key staff. The transition from primary to secondary school is an important time in children’s education. Read the Victorian Government's page on moving from primary to secondary school-external site.
- Attend one of the parent information session.
- Join the Boroondara Library Service to access books and online resources on parenting, health and learning.
- Visit our Reading advice for early primary 5 to 8 years page to find book recommendations and programs.
- Browse events and activities for children and families in Boroondara.
- Find evidence-based information and advice for parents of 5 to 8 year olds-external site and Pre-teens (9 to 11 years)-external site at the Raising Children Network.
- Ensure your child is suitably restrained when travelling in the car. Visit VicRoads-external site to understand the right child restraint for your child.
- Visit one of the Safe Seats Safe Kids Child Car Restraint Fittings and Safety Checks-external site to ensure your child’s car restraint is correctly fitted. There are regular safety check sessions held in both Ashburton and Camberwell.
- Find advice on how you can support young children to have safe and enjoyable experiences online at eSafety-external site.
- Get tips from the Better Health Channel-external site on healthy eating ideas for school lunch boxes.
Activities in Boroondara
- We run a number of school holiday programs to keep the children busy during their term break.
- Have a look at the range of activities and events on offer at one of the 11 Neighbourhood Houses and Community Centres in the City of Boroondara.
- We have a list of sport and recreation activities to explore, from archery to ultimate frisbee.
- Visit Kew Traffic School for one of their Public Ride sessions during school holidays.
Find more activities for you and your child in our searchable directory of activities for families.
Support and advice
In case of an emergency, call 000 for Police, Fire and Ambulance.
- Nurse on Call: Puts you directly in touch with a registered nurse for caring, professional health around the clock. Call 1300 60 60 24.
- Parentline: Free counselling and advice for parents and carers of children from birth to 18 years old, 8am to midnight, 7 days a week. Call 13 22 89.
- Kids Helpline: Call anytime for any reason for counselling or just someone to talk to. Visit the Kids Helpline website or call 24-hours a day, 7 days a week. Call 1800 551 800.
- Victorian Poisons Information Centre: Trained staff will give first aid information, tell you if you need to call an ambulance or may refer you to a doctor for treatment. Call 13 11 26.
Find health information
To find quality assured, reliable, up-to-date and easy to understand health information on children aged 4 to 12, visit the Victorian Government's Better Health Channel website-external site.