- Step 1: Check you are eligible
- Step 2: Consider the objectives and assessment criteria
- Step 3: Discuss your idea
- Step 4: Get help with your application
- Step 5: Complete your application
- Step 6: Submit your application
- Step 7: Application assessment
- Step 8: Results are announced
- Step 9: Grant payments
- Step 10: Evaluation
To apply for a Small Grant (Biannual), follow the steps below.
Read through the eligibility criteria to make sure you meet the criteria.
Step 2: Consider the objectives and assessment criteria
Small Grants (Biannual) applications are assessed against a series of objectives and criteria.
For more information, see Eligibility, objectives and conditions.
Step 3: Discuss your idea
Before you apply for a grant, you must talk through your project idea with a Council officer. They'll help you shape your application to give it the best chance of success.
Depending on which stream your grant falls under, please contact the relevant person below.
|Grant stream||Department||Contact person||Contact number|
|Active Community||Recreation||William Bullock||(03) 9278 4783|
|Active Community||Sport||Dominique Bebbington||(03) 9278 4797|
|Life-long Community||Active Ageing||Maree Guthrie||(03) 9278 4955|
|Creative Community||Arts and Culture||Bridget Rasmussen||(03) 9278 4770|
|Healthy Community||Children and Families||Suzanne Jervies||(03) 9278 4698|
|Healthy Community||Cultural Diversity||Emma Wilkinson||(03) 9278 4436|
|Healthy Community||Disability, Access and Inclusion||Emma Wilkinson||(03) 9278 4336|
|Healthy Community||Health and Wellbeing||Elanna Nolan||(03) 9278 4427|
|Healthy Community||Neighbourhood Houses||Caddy Purdy||(03) 9278 4869|
|Healthy Community||Safer Communities||Roz Williams||(03) 9278 4898|
|Healthy Community||Volunteering||Laura Lynch||(03) 9278 4550|
|Healthy Community||Youth||Benjamin Breslin||(03) 9278 4608|
|Sustainable Community||Environment||Liz Casper||(03) 9278 4347|
|Vibrant Retail Precincts||Local Economies||Sonja Tomasovic||(03) 9278 4879|
Step 4: Get help with your application
If you have any questions or need advice, we are here to help.
We are a quick phone call or email away to answer any questions you have. For general enquiries, contact the Community Development Officer (Grants and Partnerships) officer on 9278 4753 or email [email protected].
We also offer free information sessions for Community Grant Information Sessions. They provide community groups and organisations with useful information about:
- how to apply
- the selection criteria
- the assessment process
They're also a great opportunity to ask questions.
Registration is essential. Visit our Get help with your grant application page for more information and to register.
Step 5: Complete your application
Applications open from 9am on Monday 28 February 2022.
When applications are open they are submitted online in SmartyGrants.
Make sure you complete the budget requirements using the budget form in SmartyGrants, noting that:
- all budget costs must be justified for the project proposal
- all items listed in the budget must include a description of the item
- some applications may receive partial funding.
Be sure to attach all supporting documentation. Your application cannot be assessed until we receive all these documents:
- Incorporation Annual Statement or Annual Information Statement
- Australian Business Number (ABN)
- your organisation's Annual Report or audited financial statement
- evidence of an adequate public liability insurance policy to cover the staff, members and the general public, as appropriate
- formal quotes for all services and products over $1,000 must include the suppliers ABN and the GST amount
- letters or emails of support (optional).
We also have some helpful resources available to help with your application:
- Statistics: see our History and demographics page for data on health, education, housing, economy and diversity.
- Accessibility: see our Make your event accessible page.
- Our Annual Community Strengthening Grants 2022-23 step-by-step guide has information about the grant streams, criteria and how to apply.
Step 6: Submit your application
Once you have completed the above steps and you are happy with your application, you can finalise your submission through SmartyGrants.
Step 7: Application assessment
Applications are assessed against the assessment criteria (see Step 2) by Council Officers and the Community Strengthening Grants Assessment Panel.
Step 8: Results are announced
Step 9: Grant payments
Step 10: Evaluation
Successful applicants will be required to provide a written project report annually (or as otherwise specified in the funding agreement) against agreed performance outcomes, as part of the decision-making process for continuing the funding. This is done online via SmartyGrants.