We provide support to residents who run a small business from their home. These businesses are an important part of our business community and can include:
- online, start-up and small businesses that operate from the home
- consultants, contractors and tradespeople with a home office
- sole traders, such as a hairdresser, who perform services from their home.
What you need to do
To start a business from home, you'll need to:
- find out whether you need a Planning Permit for the home-based business
- find out if you need any other permits for your business
- check if you need to apply for any registrations or licenses with the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
- access external business resources to learn about registering your business name, applying for an ABN, finding insurance cover, and more.
For more information on starting a home-based business, email Economic Development or call 9278 4879.
Some home-based businesses may also need to register with Council Health Services, including:
To find out if this applies to your home business, email Health Services or call 9278 4710 to discuss your circumstances.