We provide support to residents who run a small business from their home. These businesses are an important part of our business community and can include:
- online, start-up and small businesses that operate from the home
- consultants, contractors and tradespeople with a home office
- sole traders, such as a hairdresser, who perform services from their home.
What you need to do
To start a business from home, you'll need to:
- find out whether you need a Planning Permit for the home-based business
- find out if you need any other permits for your business
- check if you need to apply for any registrations or licenses with the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
- access external business resources to learn about registering your business name, applying for an ABN, finding insurance cover, and more.
We can help you get started
Our Business Support Service provides broad business advice and support including guidance with Council permits.
You can also call during business hours on 9278 4814.
Some home-based businesses may also need to register with Council Health Services, including: