Becoming a sustainable business can be easy. It is not only great for saving money, but can:
- help to attract new customers
- build better staff morale
- support and protect the environment.
Whether you’re a café or restaurant, hairdresser or beauty salon, retail business or office, the smallest change can make a difference.
Business survey on environmental sustainability
Between March and June 2021, we asked businesses to share the sustainability issues that are important to them and what’s needed to better support them to become more environmentally sustainable.
A report on the findings of the survey will be available soon.
Energy advice service - Australian Energy Foundation
The Australian Energy Foundation (AEF) is a leading not-for-profit national energy organisation, empowering communities to be more energy efficient at home, school and work. We have partnered with AEF to provide the Boroondara community with free, independent energy advice relevant to your business.
Small Business Energy Saver Program
Sustainability Victoria’s Small Business Energy Saver Program provides a bonus for small businesses, discounting the cost to upgrade to more energy-efficient equipment.
Energy-efficient equipment can save your business on running costs and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
To be eligible small businesses must have:
- 1 to 19 employees (full-time equivalent)
- a commercial (non-residential) premises.
If you are a small business operating out of a rented or leased premises, you must first ensure that you are authorised to have installation activities carried out at the premises.
For more information about the program, visit the Sustainability Victoria website.
Solar for Business Program
Solar Victoria’s Solar for Business Program is an initiative designed to support Victorian small businesses to reduce their energy costs by accessing the benefits of renewable energy.
This initiative will bring down energy bills for small businesses by reducing the upfront cost of the installation of an approved small-scale solar PV system up to 30kW.
To support the economic recovery of Victorian small businesses and the broader solar sector, 15,000 solar PV rebates will be available over three years from mid-2021.
For more information about the program including eligibility requirements, FAQs and how to apply, visit the Solar Victoria website.
Discounted food waste composters, worm farms and compost bins - Compost Revolution
Businesses, residents and schools in Boroondara are eligible to order a discounted worm farm, compost bin or food waste composter, with free delivery. For more information visit Compost Revolution.
- Sustainability Victoria provides businesses with information and resources to reduce their impact on the environment. Visit their guide on how you can manage your energy use and save on energy costs, as well as find information on grants.
- Planet Ark provides tips and tools to support businesses to reduce waste and save money.
- Get involved in Victorian Energy Upgrades and save money on the installation of energy-efficient products, reduce your energy bill and help the environment.
- Australian Energy Foundation provides advice and tips, including tailored energy advice, energy assessment, energy solutions such as solar power and LED lighting, along with case studies.
- Learn how your business can become certified carbon neutral through Climate Active.
- Clean Energy Council provides a solar guide for businesses and the Australian Energy Foundation offers an Introduction to solar for business.
- Visit the Marine Stewardship Council for information on buying sustainable seafood that supports the ethical treatment of sea life.
- Sustainable Salons helps salon members reduce their impact on the planet and invest in local communities.
- Plastic free July provides tips on how to reduce plastic waste.
- See how Stop Food Waste Australia is bringing together a partnership of organisations who operate along the farm-to-fork food supply chain, with a commitment to reducing our food waste by half by 2030.
- Water Efficiency Labelling Standard (WELS) - The WELS scheme is designed to help you choose more water efficient products for your home and business