This guide helps organisers to plan events that take place on Council land. You can use it to see if your event needs Council approval or other permits to go ahead. Council land includes parks, gardens, sports grounds, footpaths, roads and carparks.
COVIDSafe Public Events
All public event organisers are now required to register their event and submit documentation to the Victorian Government to ensure coronavirus safety for attendees, staff and organisers.
This requirement is in accordance with the Vicrotian Government's Public Events Framework which applies to events in three categories:
- Tier 1: highly complex and involving more than 5000 attendees
- Tier 2: moderately complex involving 1000-5000 attendees
- Tier 3: low complexity and involving 1000 attendees or less
Tier 1 and 2 public events must register and submit a COVIDSafe Event Plan when making a booking request. Your COVIDSafe Event Plan will be reviewed and approved by our Health Services team before your booking can be confirmed.
Tier 3 public events must register and complete a COVIDSafe Event Checklist and declaration when making a booking request. Your COVIDSafe Event Checklist can be registered with no further review by us required.
Does my event need Council approval?
You need Council permission if your event:
- has more than 50 attendees, including artists, staff, contractors and volunteers
- plans exclusive use of rotundas at Alexandra Gardens or Canterbury Gardens
- uses temporary structures, such as marquees, portable movie screens. staging, a PA system or toilets
- is catered by an external supplier
- includes inflatables or a petting zoo
- includes the sale of products or market stalls
- includes fireworks or pyrotechnics
- plans to close a road, or use a carpark or footpath
- needs vehicle access to open space
- charges a fee
If any of these items apply to your event, use this guide to help you through the booking and approval process.
If none of these items apply, you can hold your event without further permission from Council.
Contact us for support with your event
Depending on the nature of your event, you may be eligible for a community grant. Learn about our grants program and see if you are eligible.