This guide helps organisers to plan events that take place on Council land. You can use it to see if your event needs Council approval or other permits to go ahead. Council land includes parks, gardens, sports grounds, footpaths, roads and carparks.
Does my event need Council approval?
You need Council permission if your event:
- has more than 50 attendees, including artists, staff, contractors and volunteers
- plans exclusive use of rotundas at Alexandra Gardens or Canterbury Gardens
- uses temporary structures, such as marquees, portable movie screens. staging, a PA system or toilets
- is catered by an external supplier
- includes inflatables or a petting zoo
- includes the sale of products or market stalls
- includes fireworks or pyrotechnics
- plans to close a road, or use a carpark or footpath
- needs vehicle access to open space
- charges a fee
If any of these items apply to your event, use this guide to help you through the booking and approval process.
If none of these items apply, you can hold your event without further permission from Council.
Contact us for support with your event
Depending on the nature of your event, you may be eligible for a community grant. Learn about our grants program and see if you are eligible.