Following mediation with the Victorian Government and North East Link Project (NELP), the City of Boroondara has withdrawn from the legal proceedings against the North East Link (NEL).
In withdrawing, we secured additional opportunities for meaningful consultation with NELP and its contractor as plans are developed, in addition to a number of highly beneficial outcomes for our community.
As part of the agreement reached during mediation, the Victorian Government and NELP will:
- Protect and retain the Freeway Golf Course as an 18-hole, competition standard public golf course
- Transfer 1.9 hectares of land at the former VicRoads depot in Kew to Council for community use
- Plant at least 4000 trees in Boroondara
- Return the balance of the Koonung Creek Reserve land not acquired for the project to its original state with some improvements following completion of the NEL
- Provide $300,000 to install the 40km/h shopping centre speed limit on Doncaster Road through the Greythorn Shopping Centre
- Provide $500,000 for the finalisation and delivery of the Bellevue Shopping Centre improvement plan
- Provide $700,000 for the design and construction of pedestrian operated signals on Balwyn Road, Balwyn, near Gordon Barnard Reserve.