We continue to advocate for the best outcomes for the Boroondara community.
Now that the North East Link (NEL) has been approved by the Minister for Planning, our key activities will focus on:
- Working to progress the Supreme Court challenge.
- Liaising with NELP and its Early Works contractors CPB to ensure that site investigations and future Early Works minimise disruptions to our community and to sporting facilities.
- Presenting to the consortia bidding for the NEL primary package to identify key issues of concern to Council and the community and to advocate for improvements to the NEL design to reduce community and open space impacts.
- Responding to the Minister’s Assessment Report and decision
- Keeping residents and community groups informed
- Ongoing advocacy to North East Link Project (NELP) and engagement with stakeholders on a number of issues including the retention of sports facilities and protection of open space
- Seeking funding from NELP for ‘complementary’ projects to improve the amenity and liveability of residents in impacted areas
- Liaising with the NELP and contractors
- Managing permits and conditions for site investigations to minimise disruptions to our community.
Prior to the release of the Inquiry and Advisory Committee (IAC) report, Council:
- Submitted a detailed submission together with Banyule and Whitehorse Councils in response to the Environment Effects Statement (EES) for review by the Inquiry and Advisory Committee (IAC).
- Presented to the IAC during the Panel Hearing from 6 July to 16 September. Key documents that can be downloaded from the Engage Victoria website include:
- opening submission and expert witness statements (see documents beginning with numbers 28 and 30)
- closing submission (documents 374 and 373a).
- Informed state and federal politicians of Council and community concerns, and decisions in relation to the NEL impacts.
- Met with residents, community groups and impacted clubs to listen to their concerns in order to advocate on their behalf.
- Took critical advocacy decisions to Council for discussion and endorsement. For example, the development of the Bulleen Park Concept Plan showing plans for the reinstatement of Freeway Golf Course (18 hole, par 69) and Boroondara Tennis Centre.
- Hosted community information sessions.
- Maintained up-to-date content on the Boroondara website to keep the community informed.
- Responded to media queries and issued media releases.