You can reserve items from any of our libraries, even if they are on loan or on order.
If you can’t find an item in our collection, you can borrow it from a library outside Boroondara or request that we buy the item.
It's a good idea to sign up for email notifications so you can be notified as soon as a reserved item is ready to collect.
You can also manage reservations using our mobile app.
Reserve a library item
If the item you would like to borrow is at another Boroondara library, out on loan or on order, you can reserve it and we’ll let you know when it’s available.
How to reserve an item
- Go to the library catalogue and search for the item you want.
- Select the checkbox beside the title of the item and click Reserve Selections.
- Enter your membership number and PIN.
Your 14-digit membership number is under the barcode on your library card.
Your 6-digit PIN is your date of birth in DDMMYY format.
- Complete the online form and select Submit.
- When the item is ready to collect, you’ll receive an email or a letter to let you know if it is available. You have 7 days to pick it up.
Reservations can be collected during opening hours.
Suspend a reservation
If you know you’ll be away for more than a couple of days, you can suspend your reservation and keep your request in the queue.
You can suspend a reservation through your library account or ask a library staff member for assistance.
To transfer an item from another library service to a library in Boroondara, a standard charge of $6.30 applies. A charge of $28.50 may apply for items from state, academic and special libraries. You pay this fee when you pick up your item via credit card, EFTPOS or cheque. From 1 April 2021, we are cash free and we thank you for your support and understanding.
Some items — such as State Library and National Library material — can only be used within our libraries. Our staff will let you know before you borrow these items.
Request an inter-library loan
- Search for the item at LibraryLink Victoria.
- Select the title and select Get It.
- To log in, enter your membership number and password. Select Boroondara Library.
- Complete the online form and select Request.
- You'll receive an email or a letter when the item has arrived. Inter-library loans may take 4 weeks or longer to arrive.
New items for our collection
We’re always looking for great resources to add to our collections as long as they are:
- still in print and available
- current and suitable for the community
- at a reasonable price and in line with our Library Collection Development Policy.
We're not able to take requests for school or university textbooks, technical or professional material or items in languages other than English.
When you make a request for a new item, it's helpful to provide as much information about the item as possible, such as the title, author, ISBN (International Standard Book Number), publisher, publication date and series title.
There is no charge to request a new item.
Request a new item for our collection
- Go to Request an item. Complete the online form and select Submit.
You can also make the request in person at your local library.
- If we're able to purchase the item, we'll reserve it for you and you’ll receive an email or a letter once it’s available.
We ask you to be patient. Some items need to be imported, or have not yet been published.
Please note: we will only process requests for items that have already been published, or 2 to 3 months prior to an announced publication date.
If we are unable to purchase your item, we'll send a message to your library account.