If you're 10-25 years of age and live, work or study in the City of Boroondara, we have a range of youth programs you can get involved in.
The Body Project Program
The Body Project Australia is a series of workshops where young people who identify as female aged 14-18 can come together and discuss the pressures faced by young people to conform to society’s appearance ideals. Meet peers in your community, talk openly and feel better about your body.
The next 6 week Body Project program will be running online on Tuesday's throughout September and October 2020:
- Tuesday 22 September 4:30 pm to 6 pm
- Tuesday 29 September 4:30 pm to 6 pm
- Tuesday 6 October 4:30 pm to 6 pm
- Tuesday 13 October 4:30 pm to 6 pm
- Tuesday 20 October 4:30 pm to 6 pm
- Tuesday 27 October 4:30 pm to 6 pm
For further information contact:
- Caroline Varney – Boroondara Youth Support and Program Worker
9835 7830 or [email protected]
- Lily Bourke – Headspace Hawthorn Community Engagement Worker
9006 6500 or [email protected]
SPACE4US program - Young Carers
A peer support program for young people who have a parent, sibling, or other adult with a mental illness.
Having a family member who is affected by a mental illness can be a confusing and isolating experience for young people. The SPACE4US program aims to build a sense of community, provide some respite and increase participants’ understanding of what their family member is experiencing.
The program’s objectives are:
- To have fun
- To increase young people’s knowledge of mental health and illness
- To improve young people’s coping strategies and help-seeking behaviour
- To improve young people’s sense of connection to their peers, family and community
- To provide opportunities to engage and support families and carers of participants
Activities can include:
- Self-Care: mindfulness practices, art therapy, developing confidence in help seeking
- Mental Health Promotion: developing more insight in to mental health and mental illness
- Excursions/activities: Laser tag, bowling, yummy lunches, art workshops
The next 6 week SPACE4US program will be running online via Zoom on Thursday's throughout October and November 2020:
- Thursday 8 October 4:30 pm to 6 pm
- Thursday 15 October 4:30 pm to 6 pm
- Thursday 22 October 4:30 pm to 6 pm
- Thursday 29 October 4:30 pm to 6 pm
- Thursday 5 November 4:30 pm to 6 pm
- Thursday 12 November 4:30 pm to 6 pm
Caroline Varney - Youth Support and Program Worker
Amanda Nichols - VMCH community engagement Worker
Learn how to plan, run and take part in music, art and cultural events for young people in supervised and safe venues - that are drug, alcohol and smoke free.
To get involved:
- Join the FReeZa Committee to help plan events.
- Attend a FReeZa event and help support our young artists and event organisers. Events include live music and cultural events, like the Boroondara Youth Film Festival and Battle of the Bands, with either booked tickets or tickets-on-the-door options. Check out our youth events and activities for current FReeZa events or visit our FReezA Facebook page.
If you'd like to be part of FReeZa, please fill in our participation form.
Play at a FReeZa event
We are always looking for new acts of all genres including acoustic and solo performers.
For more information, visit the FReeZa website.
Youth Reference Group
Get involved in the Youth Reference Group and help Council shape services and programs around what really matters to young people.
We usually meet every couple of weeks at our 360 Youth Resource Centre.
To join, contact Youth Services on 9278 4608 or email y[email protected]
Jump Start Your Future Program
Do you need support with education, training and employment? Boroondara Youth Services and Jobco are here to help you.
Drop in from 3pm to 5pm the first and last Tuesday of every month to see Kev who can help you Jump Start Your Future! He is here to help with job applications, resumes, education options and advice.
Sessions are held at Level 1, 360 Burwood Road Hawthorn.