Enrolment for 3-year-old and 4-year-old kindergarten is managed through the Boroondara Kindergarten Central Enrolment Scheme (BKCES). This scheme is run by Council, with 26 of the 30 kindergartens in the municipality as members.
BKCES allocates the 3- and 4-year-old places in a fair and equitable way, according to the enrolment policy. Children may access one year of 3-year-old and one year of funded 4-year-old kindergarten.
Places are allocated using the selection criteria outlined in our enrolment policy.
Note: this order applies to 3-year-old and 4-year-old kindergarten, unless specified otherwise.
1. High priority children:
- at risk of abuse or neglect
- in Out-of-Home Care
- identified as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- with additional needs
- asylum seeker and refugee children
- eligible for the Kindergarten Fee Subsidy.
2. Repeats (applied to 4-year-old enrolments only): children currently enrolled in 4-year-old kindergarten who have received funding for a second year of 4-year-old kindergarten are placed at the same kindergarten.
3. Deferrals: children who deferred or withdrew from a BKCES kindergarten in the previous year are placed at the same kindergarten.
4. Three-year-olds (applied to 4-year-old enrolments only): children who have completed a 3-year-old program at a BKCES kindergarten in the previous year, and have applied for the 4-year-old program at the same kindergarten.
5. Siblings: children who had a sibling complete the 3-year-old or 4-year-old program at the same kindergarten (within the past 5 years).
6. City of Boroondara residents who apply to their closest BKCES kindergarten.
7. All other City of Boroondara residents who apply for a place.
8. Non City of Boroondara residents who:
(a) have been verified as high priority children; or
(b) apply for a place.