If a Council asset has caused injury or damage to your property or vehicle, you can make a claim for compensation. You will need to show that a Council asset was the cause of the injury or damage.

How to make a claim

Provide as much information as possible to help us assess your claim.

Make a claim online

What to include

For your claim to be successful, you will need to include:

Photos of:

  • The damage and cause of the damage, or
  • The cause of the injury and where it happened.

Documents showing your financial loss as a result of the incident. For example:

  • repair quotes
  • invoices or receipts
  • professional reports.

Common reasons claims fail

  • You can't establish the cause of damage.
  • Damage involves a Council asset that has met inspection or maintenance requirements.
  • The incident occurred on a road or footpath that meets the standards set out in our Road Management Plan, or is not on Council’s Register of Public Roads. Available for download below.
  • Damage to a vehicle is less than the threshold amount in the Road Management Act 2004-external site.
  • Damage was caused by tree roots where we weren’t aware of the problem.
  • Damage is caused by a contractor acting on behalf of Council.
  • The incident relates to a pit lid or infrastructure owned by a utility company. For example, Telstra, Optus, NBN, water, power and gas companies.
  • The asset and damage is the responsibility of the property owner. For example, stormwater drains on private property.

After you submit your claim

We'll email you to confirm we've received your request. We'll also send you a reference number for your claim within 10 business days.

Your claim may be referred to an external claims manager or insurance company.

It can take several weeks for your claim to be assessed. If you would like an update, email [email protected] with your reference number.

Was this page helpful?