Do you have a little person starting preschool, kinder or childcare this year? Explore the new experience with these special stories.
Baby owl yells I'm not ready! and Monkey: not ready for kindergarten might agree.
What if we discuss The best thing about kindergarten? Would this help allay the night-before jitters? After all, even adults can get nervous about change.
Rosa loves dinosaurs and playing with her friends in this warm story about inclusion and our unique gifts. Want to play trucks also celebrates the joy of new friends with different interests.
Books for parents and carers of school children
This year, our Starting Preschool School booklist includes some fantastic books for parents, which you can find on this page.
Try the suggestions below, or browse our library shelves for numbers 370-372 for 'education'. Alternatively, use the advanced search tool in the library catalogue to search for subject: 'education - parent participation'.
If you have a specific issue you want more information about, please stop in and speak to our librarians who can help you find the right titles for your needs.
Stories about first day of preschool
First day of preschool board books
- Find out about kindness by Mandy Archer
- Tyrannosaurus wrecks! by Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen
- Meekoo and the little nursery by Camilla Reid
- I'm ready for preschool by Jedda Robaard
- Rosa loves dinosaurs by Jessica Spanyol
- Starting school by Eleanor Taylor
First day of preschool picture books
- I'm not ready! by Jonathan Allen
- George's first day at playgroup by Neville Astley
- Monkey: not ready for kindergarten by Marc Brown
- Twelve days of kindness by Cari Brooke
- The school by Dick Bruna
- Madi at Kinder by Monique Cain
- Maisy goes to nursery by Lucy Cousins
- Pete the Kitty's first day of preschool by Kimberly and James Dean
- Blocks: Let's share! by Irene Dickson
- Pearl goes to preschool by Julie Fortenberry
- Little Owl's first day by Deb Gliori
- I love me by Marvyn Harrison
- Let's go to nursery! By Caryl Hart
- Prince George goes to school by Caryl Hart
- When a dragon goes to school by Caryl Hart
- Brave adventures, little girl by Iresha Herath
- Spot goes to school by Eric Hill
- Alfie at nursery school by Shirley Hughes
- The best thing about kindergarten by Jennifer Lloyd
- You get what you get and you don't get upset! by Heath McKenzie
- Hugless Douglas goes to little school by David Melling
- Five little ducks went off to school by Peter Millett
- Frog hops off by Lydia Monks
- Grug goes to school by Ted Prior
- Upside down Friday by Lana Spacevski
- Want to play trucks? by Ann Stott
- Ming goes to school by Deidre Sullivan
- Starting school by Eleanor Taylor
- Harry and the dinosaurs go to school by Ian Whybrow
- The night before preschool by Natasha Wing
Titles for parents
- Beyond baby talk: from speaking to spelling: a guide to language and literacy development for parents and caregivers by Kenn Apel
- Live, love and learn: how young children learn to speak, read and write through everyday life with you by Laurie Lind Makin
- Music with babies and young children: activities to encourage bonding, communication and wellbeing by Jeffrey Friedberg
- Raising human beings: creating a collaborative partnership with your child by PhD Ross W. Greene
- The enchanted hour: the miraculous power or reading aloud in the age of distraction by Meghan Cox Gurdon
- The importance of being little: what young children really need form grownups by Erika Christakis
- The read-aloud family: making meaningful and lasting connections with your kids by Sarah Mackenzie
- Jiao chu wei lai li : 50 ge ju jia qin zi Mengtesuoli you xi, wan chu hai zi de hao pin ge x jing zheng li = Donner confiance à son enfant grâce à la méthode Montessori by Sylvie d'Esclaibes
- Wo de you er yuan. Zhong Ying wen shuang yu ban = My kindergarten by Serge Bloch
- Wo ai you er yuan = I love kindergarten by Serge Bloch
- Yao shang you er yuan la = I will go to kindergarten by Eiko Kadono
- Topo Tip non vuole andare all'asilo by Marco Campanella
- Oops et Ohlala vont à l'école by Amélie Graux
Visit our Booklists page for more kids titles, or our Literacy and Reading Resources for Families page for expert tips and recommendations.