Applications for 2018 secondary level placements have closed
If you're a secondary or tertiary student and want experience, skills and knowledge in a dynamic local government environment, apply for a short-term placement with us.
Our local government work experience placements help you:
- get real insight into a range of occupations at Council
- gauge your interest and ability in a specialised local government area
- put course work into a practical context
- develop interpersonal and technical skills
- become employment-ready.
Secondary level placements
We accept work experience students from secondary schools through our structured Secondary Student Placement Program.
For those with successful applications, placements occur in June and September around the last weeks of term 2 and 3.
The placements take place in various departments across Council, including:
- People, Culture and Development
- Library Services
- Arts and Culture;
- Communications and Customer Experience
- Traffic and Transport
- Local Laws
- Family, Youth and Recreation
- Statutory Planning
- Health, Active Ageing and Disability Services
- Environment and Sustainable Living.
Find out more about our directorates and departments.
To apply, you'll need to submit:
- a brief covering letter,
- a resume,
- necessary Work Experience Arrangement forms.
Important: We do not accept applications for secondary level placements outside of this program.
Tertiary level placements
If you are a tertiary student, you need to contact us to register your interest at least 6 weeks before the date you want to start your placement.
- Download and complete our Work experience request form.
- Attach your resume and any introductory letters from your TAFE, university or program.
- Submit your application by:
- emailing People, Culture and Development
- mailing your application to: Executive Manager, People, Culture and Development, Private Bag 1, Camberwell VIC 3124.
We'll contact you within 10 business days to let you know if a work experience placement is available and what you need to do next.
If you have any questions about work experience, email People, Culture and Development or phone 9278 4401.