In 2022 the corner of Riversdale and Cooloongatta roads, Camberwell, was transformed with an eye-catching new mural entitled ‘Snapshots’.
About the artwork
This beautiful artwork, created by Melbourne artist duo Creature Creature (Chanel Tang and Ambrose Rehorek), pays homage to Camberwell’s community life.
The mural depicts snapshots of the local shopping precinct, the natural environment and community members. The artwork also highlights the local architecture, particularly the art deco-style buildings typical to the area.
Creature Creature has used their distinctive style to design a contemporary illustrative mural for everyone to enjoy.
“We aimed to depict a variety of things so everyone could enjoy it, and many people have their favourite sections,” say Ambrose and Chanel. “We hope the mural fits seamlessly into the environment and really highlights the beautiful and hidden details of the area that make it unique.”
This mural was delivered as part of Council’s Graffiti Management Strategy, aiming to discourage vandalism and enhance local amenities.
We hope you enjoy discovering the many elements of this mural and how it adds vibrancy to the local streetscape.
The composite image at the top of this page highlights these sections of the mural:
- Mosaic tiles from Kaydon Court
- Number of the building using the inspiration of numbering and brickwork from the area
- Common lamp posts found throughout Camberwell
- Imagery of the White Karee Tree, a significant tree in Riversdale Park
- Art deco architecture and two Rainbow Lorikeet
- Textures of Camberwell including:
- wrought iron fencing found at Kayden Court
- Eucalyptus tree bark
- Terrazzo flooring
- Birds to represent the community and harmony within Camberwell
- Flowering Red Gum from the local park
- Café scene to depict the café lifestyle of the area
- Fruit to represent the fresh produce found in the area
- Cavoodle puppy dog
- Mosaic tiles from Kaydon Court.