Apply for a Planning Permit, if needed

If you have determined that you need to apply for a Planning Permit:

  1. Provide a clear copy of your Certificate of Title, including the lot plan. You can get this from the Landata website. The Certificate of Title must be no more than 28 days old.
  2. Write a cover letter explaining your proposal.
  3. Prepare a plan drawn to scale (1:100 or 1:200) with full dimensions. The plan must show the site, floor layout and elevations.
  4. Complete the Planning Permit application form and lodge the form, fee and supporting documents with Council. 
    To download the form and submit the application, see Apply for a Planning Permit.
    • If you need a permit to demolish part of a building, the Planning Permit application you submit can be for both the demolition and the extension or alteration.
    • If the cost of your works is greater than $1,076,000, the State Revenue Office (SRO) requires that you pay a Metropolitan Planning Levy. After you have paid the levy, the SRO will issue a certificate. You need to include this certificate in your Planning Permit application.
  5. Go to the next step to see whether you need a Building Permit.

VicSmart eligibility

A Planning Permit application for an alteration or extension is eligible for VicSmart if:

  • a Special Building Overlay affects your land, or
  • the application is for a residential lot under 500sqm and meets specific criteria.

For more information, visit the VicSmart Permits page.